+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BCIT Part-time equivalent to full-time certificate

chaoscool

Mar 8, 2016
Hi, guys.

Need some help here.

My wife is studying in BCIT part-time with the equivalency to full-time on a certificate program. And I have an OWP linked to her permit.

My contract was expired this Friday and I'm not sure if I should or not to extend it.

We are thinking in not enroll her in this term (if I do not extend the contract) and as soon as I get a new job (before the next term, I hope) we enroll her again. Looks like the next term enrollments at the BCIT website will be available next month.

So, the question is:

- If we don't enroll in the actual term does she lose her student status?

Because, if this happens, I probably will be unable to get another job with my current OWP.

Thank you in advance.

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

chaoscool said:
Hi, guys.

Need some help here.

My wife is studying in BCIT part-time with the equivalency to full-time on a certificate program. And I have an OWP linked to her permit.

My contract was expired this Friday and I'm not sure if I should or not to extend it.

We are thinking in not enroll her in this term (if I do not extend the contract) and as soon as I get a new job (before the next term, I hope) we enroll her again. Looks like the next term enrollments at the BCIT website will be available next month.

So, the question is:

- If we don't enroll in the actual term does she lose her student status?

Because, if this happens, I probably will be unable to get another job with my current OWP.

Thank you in advance.

1. Yes, she will lose. Schools are bound to report student status to CIC (rules after June 2014).
2. FYI, for PGWP eligibility, course must be of full time duration (not part time).

chaoscool

Mar 8, 2016
Hi, J5M. Thank you for helping.

One more thing. Does she lose her status if she pays and for some reason can't finish the course?

chaoscool

Mar 8, 2016
Hi, all.

Someone have a tip for this question here? I'd like to give more background information.

The thing is, we have to extend her study permit and my OWP to be able to remain in Canada. We need to extend for just one more term to finish the course.

As far as I know, at BCIT, one can do 9 credits per term and is considered by the immigration full-time. To keep my OWP, she needs to be full-time student during the all time.

The thing is, in one past terms, she had enrolled in 9 credits (and paid for it), but just completed 6. Is that OK? Or we can have any complications with the permit extension?

Also, if this is a problem, there is something that we can do to explain to the immigration official what happened that term?

Thank you all.

chaoscool

Mar 8, 2016
Hi, all.

Someone have a tip for this question here? I'd like to give more background information.

The thing is, we have to extend her study permit and my OWP to be able to remain in Canada. We need to extend for just one more term to finish the course.

As far as I know, at BCIT, one can do 9 credits per term and is considered by the immigration full-time. To keep my OWP, she needs to be full-time student during the all time.

The thing is, in one past terms, she had enrolled in 9 credits (and paid for it), but just completed 6. Is that OK? Or we can have any complications with the permit extension?

Also, if this is a problem, there is something that we can do to explain to the immigration official what happened that term?

Thank you all.
Hi, guys. Do someone know something about it? Please!

I really need this answer.

Thanks.