+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BC PNP International Graduate - Is it okay if program of study is only 8 months?

mobilebird

Mar 2, 2013
I'm very interested in moving to British Columbia. Currently I am studying Internet Programming & Database Management, which is a one year Graduate Certificate program with an optional internship component, at Lambton College in Ontario. I will be done with my studies in this May and then I will receive my post-graduation work permit. The issue is this program has only two semesters. So the full time study only lasts for 8 months. They advertise this as a one year program because it has optional internship component. But I do not want to do the internship as I already have a permanent job offer from a Victoria, BC based employer in my field of study. (I will be working there as a Software Developer, which is Skill Level B occupation, and will be paid as per market rates. The employer has been in business for over a year and have about 8 full-time employees.)

The BC PNP says, "You may be eligible for the BC PNP's International Graduate category if you have graduated with a degree or diploma (with at least 12 months of study) from an eligible institution and accepted a permanent and full time job offer from a BC employer at Skill Level 0, A, or B. Additionally, a diploma must have been awarded by a Canadian public post-secondary institution and diplomas from private institutions are not eligible."
My question is, if I accept this job offer and not do the optional internship, will I be eligible to be nominated under The BC PNP - Strategic Occupations - International Graduates? The program lasts for only 8 months if the internship component is skipped. I will appreciate if someone can help me out here and clear up the doubts I have.

Also, does my employer need to file for an LMO before bringing me on board? or is this not necessary as I will be receiving an open work permit once I graduate?

Thank you.