+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Australian with expired PR traveling back for holiday in a week with family - help!

WegzMatt

Jun 19, 2024
Hi, I had Canadian PR status for myself and daughter in 2018 but then we moved back to Australia so never met the minimum time in Canada. My PR card expired in 2023 so i assumed i no longer had PR. I applied for ETA to travel to Canada so we can do a family cruse from Vancouver last week. My youngest daughters ETA came through instantly (no former PR) but my eldest daughter and I have yet to get an update. Looking online and now worried we are still possibly seen as Canadian PRs but with expired PR cards. Heading to the consulate tomorrow to see but any advice anyone has - i.e. Is there an option i should be asking when i get there as we are meant to fly from Sydney to Van via LA on 28th (8 days!).
Thanks
Matt

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi, I had Canadian PR status for myself and daughter in 2018 but then we moved back to Australia so never met the minimum time in Canada. My PR card expired in 2023 so i assumed i no longer had PR. I applied for ETA to travel to Canada so we can do a family cruse from Vancouver last week. My youngest daughters ETA came through instantly (no former PR) but my eldest daughter and I have yet to get an update. Looking online and now worried we are still possibly seen as Canadian PRs but with expired PR cards. Heading to the consulate tomorrow to see but any advice anyone has - i.e. Is there an option i should be asking when i get there as we are meant to fly from Sydney to Van via LA on 28th (8 days!).
Thanks
Matt
Even with expired PR, you are still PR so if no longer want to be PR then you must renounce it, then apply for ETA. If you want to keep PR, then you need to apply for PRTD and show that you are returning to live in Canada.

Renouncing and PRTD takes months. Consulate most likely cannot do anything, as they would not be able to issue PRTD for a cruise.

Last edited:
Reactions: WegzMatt and scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks
Matt
Agreed with the above comment. You are still PRs and don't qualify for eTAs.

Options are:
- PRTD: takes too long to process and also won't be approved if you don't meet the residency obligation
- Renounce PR so that you can get an eTA: I don't think the consulate will be able to help you but no harm trying. I would submit the forms to renounce PR status asap and also submit a web form to IRCC indicating you want to renounce. I think you are way too short on time for all of this to happen and get the eTA approved before your trip. However miracles do sometimes happen. I would start looking into what it will take to cancel or postpone your trip in addition to renouncing PR and trying to get the eTA.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks
Matt
So one more possible option but I don't know if it will work and you should contact the cruise line. Fly to the US and end your flight there. Cross into Canada through a land border using a private vehicle (rental car) and your expired PR cards. You will be allowed into Canada with expired PR cards. The question is whether the cruise line will let you board. I don't know the answer to that question.

WegzMatt

Jun 19, 2024
So one more possible option but I don't know if it will work and you should contact the cruise line. Fly to the US and end your flight there. Cross into Canada through a land border using a private vehicle (rental car) and your expired PR cards. You will be allowed into Canada with expired PR cards. The question is whether the cruise line will let you board. I don't know the answer to that question.
THANKS for this option. Just need to consider the specifics. My eldest daughter and I would have the PR cards so this would work. Its jsut if my youngest daughter who would only have a AUS passport can be with us in the car.

for the cruise, it leaves vancouver and then disembarks in anchorage in alaska. All three of us have our USA visas succesfully so should be able to get on the cruise fine (i hope).

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
THANKS for this option. Just need to consider the specifics. My eldest daughter and I would have the PR cards so this would work. Its jsut if my youngest daughter who would only have a AUS passport can be with us in the car.

for the cruise, it leaves vancouver and then disembarks in anchorage in alaska. All three of us have our USA visas succesfully so should be able to get on the cruise fine (i hope).
Your younger daughter has an eTA so I don't see the issue from that perspective.

I would very strongly recommend you contact the cruise line to verify their boarding requirements.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

The issue is that your PR cards are expired and not valid. You need to check with cruise line if you can board with expired PR cards.