+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Attaching spouse to PR application + a couple other questions

funkiers

Nov 24, 2015
Hello,

I did post this topic under General but was recommended to post on this sub-category

I am looking for some advice on my case.

I will be getting married with my Fiance in December and is planning to attach my fiance file (after we get married) to my current PR application (under MPNP). The CIC has already started working on my application since early September according to the check in tools on the CIC website.

My fiance does have a Visitor visa and planning to come with me to Canada in January after we get married, at least to have some time together after being in long distance for so long. When she got here, she will have a return ticket dated on late March.

I was thinking that she could perhaps ask for a request to change status when she got here to apply for either visit visa extension or a work permit.

I do have an open work permit but by the time she got here, my work permit will have less than 6 months before it get expired and can only be renewed in February as only that time then it will meet the 4 months before expiry requirement.

I guess my question would be :

a. Is there any way for her to stay with me legally during the attachment process? If she does can stay, I believe we can change the return date on the ticket.
b. How long does this attachment process take until we both get our Permanent Residency?
c. On february, when I apply for work permit extension (bridging open work permit), can I apply for her as well? Would this way allow the CIC to make decision based on my new work permit instead of my expiring one?
d. She did live in the USA for two years when she went to a school there, after reading a bit, it looks like that FBI police report will take at least two months. Can the attachment process start before we get the FBI police report?

Thank you for all your help.