+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Athabasca University Transfer PGWP eligibility

Kk8095203

Jun 19, 2024
I am an international student at Concordia University in Montreal, where I have completed 54 credits in the Bachelor of Commerce - Business Technology program. Additionally, I hold an Associate of Science from a different institution in the United States.

Due to personal reasons, I am unable to complete my degree at Concordia University. I am considering transferring to Athabasca University, which offers a Bachelor of General Studies degree without a residency requirement. This means that the courses I took at Concordia and previous institution can satisfy the degree requirements at Athabasca without having to take any courses at Athabasca via distance learning.

I am wondering if I will be eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) since I may not need to take any courses online at Athabasca University.

I was a full-time student at Concordia University every semester and adhered to my study permit conditions.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I am an international student at Concordia University in Montreal, where I have completed 54 credits in the Bachelor of Commerce - Business Technology program. Additionally, I hold an Associate of Science from a different institution in the United States.

Due to personal reasons, I am unable to complete my degree at Concordia University. I am considering transferring to Athabasca University, which offers a Bachelor of General Studies degree without a residency requirement. This means that the courses I took at Concordia and previous institution can satisfy the degree requirements at Athabasca without having to take any courses at Athabasca via distance learning.

I am wondering if I will be eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) since I may not need to take any courses online at Athabasca University.

I was a full-time student at Concordia University every semester and adhered to my study permit conditions.
Does the program at Athabasca University offer PGWP?

Kk8095203

Jun 19, 2024
Does the program at Athabasca University offer PGWP?
It does not state anything regarding PGWP. However, Athabasca is listed as PGWP eligible and is a DLI on the IRCC.

The challenge lies in the fact that the university is primarily a distance learning institution. A degree completed entirely through distance learning does not qualify for the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP).

However, since all courses were completed in person and potentially transferred, I am eligible to obtain the degree without engaging in any distance learning.

To be eligible for a PGWP, you must have completed a study program at a designated learning institution (DLI) and meet certain program requirements. Both Athabasca and Concordia are DLIs. Additionally, you must have maintained full-time student status in Canada during each semester of your study program. I fulfilled this requirement at Concordia.

Furthermore, you must possess a study permit that has been valid within the last 180 days. I currently hold a valid study permit. The program must also be a minimum of 8 in duration and lead to certificate, diploma or a bachelor’s degree, which is the case for my program.

The only difference is that I can receive the degree by transferring credits, and without taking any credits at athabasca.

on Athabasca website it is stated: ‘The Bachelor of General Studies (BGS) degree is one of the most popular programs at Athabasca University. Unlike the other degrees offered by Athabasca University, the BGS does not have a residency requirement, and courses that make up the degree requirements may be completed at institutions other than Athabasca University.’ In my case Concordia University.