+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

At what point in the process do we show proof of funds?

Chakademus

Mar 3, 2009
Hi,

I am thinking of starting the application process. I may need to liquidate some assets, like my 401K (in USA)to satisfy the funds requirement, as there are 5 in my family. At what point in the process do we need to provide proof of the funds? I am assuming that a 401K statement is not sufficient. Is this correct?

Thanks for the insight.

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
you have to show proof of fund when you send documentation to your visa office.

NewYorker

Nov 4, 2008
Chakademus said:
Hi,

I am thinking of starting the application process. I may need to liquidate some assets, like my 401K (in USA)to satisfy the funds requirement, as there are 5 in my family. At what point in the process do we need to provide proof of the funds? I am assuming that a 401K statement is not sufficient. Is this correct?

Thanks for the insight.
401K statement is enough but it is little tricky, you can use this to complete the requirement if you do not have cash funds available, in today's market you cannot predict what is going to happen to 401K in the future.

401K is invested in stock market, and it is retirement fund, you cannot cash it until you retire or quit the job and decides to cash your funds. In that case you need to deduct any applicable penalties from the 401K and then you can show whatever is left.

So lets say, you have X amount in 401K and you do not have any money in bank, you can either take a loan against your 401K and show the money in the checking or saving account, or you can show the 401K statement and deduct the penalties (lets say 15% for early withdraw) you have to pay to cash it out, this should satisfy your proof of funds. Everything need to be certified or on the letterhead from the 401K managing company.