+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Assistance with Canada Study Permit Application

xhannahx

Mar 1, 2010
I have been accepted into a 4 year public university in the Newfoundland & Labrador province and plan to attend this fall, so if there is someone who is familiar with the application and assessment process of a canadian study permit, I would really appreciate your assistance.

I was lawfully admitted into the U.S. on a tourist visa as a child, but is now expired....
Just in case someone is wondering whether I am allowed to apply for a study permit while being "out-of-status" the answer is yes, and can be found on:
[[ http :// www . cic . gc. ca / english / resources / manuals / op / op01-eng.pdf ]]
**page 12-13 (under section 5.17).

Since I am currently out-of-status, I would like to know what the apporpriate marking is for the "Immigration Status (6)" section on the application regarding my situation. I assume it is either "Temporary Resident" or "Other". If it is "Other", what should I write in the blank space next to it? In addition, will I need to provide the expired date of my visa on the "Valid until (6b)" portion?

On section 13 of the application where it asks if I have lived in any other country during the past 5 years other than my country of citizenship or permanent residence, would it be advisable to mark "yes" since I am neither a citizen or a legal permanent resident of the U.S. but have resided here for the last 16 years? Otherwise, I hope someone can please advise me on the appropriate action.