+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Arriving Canada (for studying)

nana300000

Apr 10, 2017
Hello,

My study permit application was approved (for Fall 2017) and we are planning to arrive to Canada in August.

I have a few question regarding the actual arrival:

1. Declaration of funds -
As I understand, we need to declare if we arrive with more than 10000 CAD in cash or cheques.
If we declare this does it mean we also need to pay duty?
And I saw somewhere that we need to make a list of all the items we are moving with and their value. Is it correct?

2. Additional documents -
I saw in the IRCC webpage (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-arriving) the documents that are needed in order to receive the study permit and enter Canada.
There is also this sentence: "letters of reference or any other documents recommended by the visa office where you applied" - What does it mean? I applied online through the Tel Aviv office, so does it mean all the documents that they require? (In addition to the documents the IRCC requires?)

3. Work permit for my common-law partner -
We are going to probably apply for a work permit for my partner at the airport (either open or work-place specific permit, it depends if he finds a postdoc position before we arrive, as it will give me a discount in the tuition fee, if not we'll apply for the open work permit).
What documents does he need to bring?
Should we follow the IRCC instructions or the Visa Office instructions?
For instance, according to the embassy we need to send them police report for background check. Where should it be sent? to the embassy? Should we treat it as if we submit the application through Tel Aviv?

Thank you for the help!

HariKiran

Star Member
Jun 19, 2017
Hello,

My study permit application was approved (for Fall 2017) and we are planning to arrive to Canada in August.

I have a few question regarding the actual arrival:

1. Declaration of funds -
As I understand, we need to declare if we arrive with more than 10000 CAD in cash or cheques.
If we declare this does it mean we also need to pay duty?
And I saw somewhere that we need to make a list of all the items we are moving with and their value. Is it correct?

2. Additional documents -
I saw in the IRCC webpage (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-arriving) the documents that are needed in order to receive the study permit and enter Canada.
There is also this sentence: "letters of reference or any other documents recommended by the visa office where you applied" - What does it mean? I applied online through the Tel Aviv office, so does it mean all the documents that they require? (In addition to the documents the IRCC requires?)

3. Work permit for my common-law partner -
We are going to probably apply for a work permit for my partner at the airport (either open or work-place specific permit, it depends if he finds a postdoc position before we arrive, as it will give me a discount in the tuition fee, if not we'll apply for the open work permit).
What documents does he need to bring?
Should we follow the IRCC instructions or the Visa Office instructions?
For instance, according to the embassy we need to send them police report for background check. Where should it be sent? to the embassy? Should we treat it as if we submit the application through Tel Aviv?

Thank you for the help!
when did you applied and when you got visa? Congratulations!!!

nana300000

Apr 10, 2017
when did you applied and when you got visa? Congratulations!!!
Thanks! :)
I applied April 17, and got the approval on June 2 (it is not a visa, it is an approval to receive a study permit when I arrive Canada, I am from a visa exempt country).