+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Are PTO considered as working hours for international students?

anthhony32

Nov 24, 2023
Hello, i am really confused about this, so for this year and as an international student the government gave us the possibility to work more than 20 hours until 31 december 2023 . During this period i was working full time and gathered 1 month of pto. Starting from january i should switch to work part time, which means my pay will be cut in half which will not be enough for me. So i thought about the idea of taking my pto during january, and to get paid full time, and at the same time and technically i am not working more than legal hours. Is this legal to do, am i missing something? From where i can get the exact information please?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello, i am really confused about this, so for this year and as an international student the government gave us the possibility to work more than 20 hours until 31 december 2023 . During this period i was working full time and gathered 1 month of pto. Starting from january i should switch to work part time, which means my pay will be cut in half which will not be enough for me. So i thought about the idea of taking my pto during january, and to get paid full time, and at the same time and technically i am not working more than legal hours. Is this legal to do, am i missing something? From where i can get the exact information please?
Paid time off is your vacation and can be taken whenever as approved by your employer. Does your employer approve this? Some employers only allow a week of PTO at a time depending on your contract. If you are working for the same employer it is either working or PTO, you cannot do both. If PTO is full time then will show as full time pay.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It will count as working full time if you are being paid full time.