+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Approval of multiple visitor visa applications - which one is valid?

shb25

Star Member
Oct 4, 2012
I had applied for visitor visa application in end of May from India. After 60 days processing time had passed (processing times were 45 days back then), had submitted a case enquiry. Within 1 minute of submitting the enquiry, I received a refusal on the gckey portal. Got gcms notes and found that it was auto processed by the Chinook system. Refusal reasons were generic (ties, travel history, purpose of visit, and funds (had shown 6L). Child lives in Canada (citizen) and had a previous canada visitor visa under which there has been travel. So there was no reason to refuse.
In August, I submitted a case enquiry asking them to reconisder the application due to valid travel history and track record. After a month of no response, I submitted a new application on IRCC portal. It detected the application under CAN+ and waived any proof of funds requirement. After submitting the application, I got passport request within 10 days. I Submitted passport and received passport with affixed visa last week.
However, this week there was an email saying there's a message waiting in cic account in gckey (with the first applications ref number). Turns out they had reconsidered the first refused application and sent passport request for that.

Now the question is, is the current visa sticker that was processed under the 2nd application valid (issue date is end of September). When they reconsidered the first application, they'd certainly have information about another visa already issued. So why did they approve the older application now. Secondly, is there a chance they'd canceled the current visa sticker, because the gckey application is now approved as well (presumably there'd be a new visa issue date that's recent than the other). How to find if the visa sticker is valid?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I had applied for visitor visa application in end of May from India. After 60 days processing time had passed (processing times were 45 days back then), had submitted a case enquiry. Within 1 minute of submitting the enquiry, I received a refusal on the gckey portal. Got gcms notes and found that it was auto processed by the Chinook system. Refusal reasons were generic (ties, travel history, purpose of visit, and funds (had shown 6L). Child lives in Canada (citizen) and had a previous canada visitor visa under which there has been travel. So there was no reason to refuse.
In August, I submitted a case enquiry asking them to reconisder the application due to valid travel history and track record. After a month of no response, I submitted a new application on IRCC portal. It detected the application under CAN+ and waived any proof of funds requirement. After submitting the application, I got passport request within 10 days. I Submitted passport and received passport with affixed visa last week.
However, this week there was an email saying there's a message waiting in cic account in gckey (with the first applications ref number). Turns out they had reconsidered the first refused application and sent passport request for that.

Now the question is, is the current visa sticker that was processed under the 2nd application valid (issue date is end of September). When they reconsidered the first application, they'd certainly have information about another visa already issued. So why did they approve the older application now. Secondly, is there a chance they'd canceled the current visa sticker, because the gckey application is now approved as well (presumably there'd be a new visa issue date that's recent than the other). How to find if the visa sticker is valid?
You assume to much of IRCC & their systems. Current visa likely valid but would verify before attempting to fly to Canada. You shouldn’t have sent a request for reconsideration and then applied for another TRV or at least advised IRCC that you wanted to withdraw the reconsideration. Send a webform indicating that you applied for two TRVs and while waiting for reconsideration your 2nd TRV was approved and your passport has already been stamped. Ask for verification the TRV received was not cancelled when the one being reconsidered was approved.