+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying open work permit after marriage???

whlee27

Sep 18, 2013
Hello, All

I am a permanent resident in Canada and I got married with my girlfriend Jun 2013.
Now she extended her status visitor since her student visa expiration (Aug, 2013) and we are preparing INLAND family class sponsorship now.

Today, my friends advised me that my wife also eligible to apply the work permit before she apply the PR because she married with permanent resident and I am a full time worker in Canada.
In this case the work permit will issued in a month and then she can apply PR as work permit holder.

It seems pretty reasonable and fair to my wife because she has nothing to do next year with visitor visa in Canada.

But i am still confusing that this is right or not.

Please I need somebody answer this question with explanation.

Thank you. ;)

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

whlee27 said:
Hello, All

I am a permanent resident in Canada and I got married with my girlfriend Jun 2013.
Now she extended her status visitor since her student visa expiration (Aug, 2013) and we are preparing INLAND family class sponsorship now.

Today, my friends advised me that my wife also eligible to apply the work permit before she apply the PR because she married with permanent resident and I am a full time worker in Canada.
In this case the work permit will issued in a month and then she can apply PR as work permit holder.

It seems pretty reasonable and fair to my wife because she has nothing to do next year with visitor visa in Canada.

Thank you. ;)
1. Your friends are wrong.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
whlee27 said:
Hello, All

Thank you. ;)
You can submit an app for Open Work permit, along with your Inland PR application. After you get stage 1 approval on the inland app, she will also get the OWP. Right now there is around an 11 month wait to get stage 1 approval.

The only way to work before then, is to see if there are any working holiday, IEC, etc work permit programs offered by her home country to Canada, or to find an employer willing to go through the LMO process to hire her with a closed work permit.