+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying inland spousal sponsorship for US citizen spouse

Zeesh

Jun 3, 2016
I am a Canadian permanent resident living in Canada and I intend to sponsor my wife who is a US citizen in USA.

Since my wife is a US citizen, she is able to visit me in Canada and can stay for upto 6 months.

My questions are the following:

1. When my wife visits me in Canada through her US citizenship status, is she considered to be maintaining a temporary visitor status in Canada at that time?

2. Can I apply for an INLAND spousal sponsorship for my wife once she visits me and is inside Canada?

3. If applying OUTLAND is the only option for me, can my wife continue visiting me in Canada while her OUTLAND sponsorship application is in progress?

Would really appreciate if someone knowledgeable with regards to these matters could answer my questions. Thanks in advance.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
1. Yes.
2. Yes. (You may need to extend her visitor status during the process)
3. Not the only option, but you can apply outland instead, and spouse can visit you.

There are more details such as entry regulations during covid (will need to show immediate family of you, with marriage certificate). During inland, not advised to leave Canada much (for her). And at border, may face questions about intent to visit or stay.

Start by reading the application instructions.