+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for TRV online for partner to come to Canada

amanda1313

Feb 18, 2020
Toronto
Hello,

I was living with my partner in his country (Dominican Republic) up until March 2020. When Trudeau told all Canadians to return home I returned right away in March. He was not able to come with me because he does not have a visa. He was declined twice for a trv in 2019 (no previous travel history, personal assets).
Canada now change the restrictions for immediate family. We are considered common law having lived together for over a year and I was going to apply for family sponsorship but due to Covid the Embassy is closed. I was hoping to apply online for a TRV for him so we can be reunited.

My question is: Is it worth stating we were going to apply as common law and send proof of common law with TRV application? Should we state we want to apply inland?

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
The success of an application depends on the quality of the submission to a certain extent, but I would think your partner is unlikely to get a TRV, after two refusals and a clear statement that he doesn't intend to leave again.
I would apply for a common-law sponsorship - the Embassy being closed is not your concern, IRCC is still processing sponsorships and applications - and apply for a TRV once the sponsorship has been approved. That would considerably improve your odds of a successful TRV application over trying now.

Reactions: amanda1313