+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for Study Permit INSIDE Canada-- Living with boyfriend on visitor visa

djamberj

Jan 20, 2013
I (U.S. citizen) met my boyfriend nearly a year ago and will be moving in with him in a few weeks in Calgary, Alberta. I have also applied to a graduate program at the University of Calgary which I am pretty sure I'll get into. However, I plan on moving in mid February 2013 and the semester begins in September 2013. I should be receiving my acceptance letter at the end of February.

However, I noted on the CIC website and in several threads that applying for a study permit while inside Canada may result in a rejection. I will still have ties to my parent's house in the U.S., but also would like to start the common law process for PR, which is why we're moving in together. What I would like to know is:

-Can I apply for my study permit ONLINE while inside Canada? I still have my address in the States to use if necessary, and will have my status as visitor in Canada.

-Will changing my status from visitor to student affect our common law date? Should I wait to see if I get the study permit and then start our common law living situation?

-If we get married and he sponsors me that way, can I still apply for a study permit so I can attend in 2013?

Thank you.

wJaz

Aug 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

Well i have no idea on this maybe some of the guys can help with that. But generally i dont think it will e a problem if you apply for PR. Thats the right way for it. I mean getting married first. A good advantage is your study expenses! As an international student you will had loads of problems working ... So first getting the PR is a wise option.

you still have some time to i think the process will go accordingly well before your classes start.

But again i have no idea on this.. just a general suggestion!

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
1) It will be rejected. You must apply to an office outside Canada. Trust me, I know this from experience.

2) No, it won't change your relationship status in any way.

3) You can still get a study permit (outside Canada) while you're waiting for your PR.

djamberj

Jan 20, 2013
amikety said:
1) It will be rejected. You must apply to an office outside Canada. Trust me, I know this from experience.

2) No, it won't change your relationship status in any way.

3) You can still get a study permit (outside Canada) while you're waiting for your PR.
Thanks for your response. I saw this on the University of British Columbia last night and it says I CAN apply for a study permit as a visitor as long as I send it to a Canadian visa office outside Canada. Does this apply to my situation?

re you in Canada as a visitor?
If you have been visiting Canada or studying English in Canada without a study permit, you must obtain a study permit before you begin studying at UBC.

If you are a visitor and have been admitted to UBC, you can apply for an initial study permit by mail through the Canadian visa office outside of Canada. Effective May 7th, 2012, in-person applications are no longer accepted at the Detroit and Buffalo visa offices. Effective June 1st, 2012, in-person applications are no longer accepted at the Seattle visa office and documents will not be returned by courier. If you have concerns about the safety of your passport and other documents being returned, you may choose to submit an application to the Canadian Consulate in Buffalo or Detroit as both have mailboxes in Canada and accept pre-paid return Canada Post Xpresspost envelopes.

We highly recommend that you check the website of the visa office to which you plan on applying. It is also important to make note of processing times. Some applications may also take longer than average to process, such as those requiring a medical examination. You may wait up to three months to receive the results of a medical examination.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
As long as your visa office will accept the application, then it's fine. Just FYI, Buffalo is closed (and has been for a while).

Start here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/ctc-vac/getting-started.asp

Make sure to mark you are a visitor and not a temporary resident, even if you were issued a Visitor's record.

MrEnergy

Star Member
Dec 18, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
amikety ...
can you, please, give details of this process ...
I am inside Canada as a Visitor, specifically in Calgary/Alberta
I applied online, but my application is refused :(
1- should I send my application for study permit to Los Angeles by mail?
2- Can I apply online to Los Angeles CIC iffice ?
3- after my application is accepted, either online or by mail, I have to take it with my supporting documents to the boarder with USA to get y study permit, AM I RIGHT ?
thanks in advance

vinch286

Nov 2, 2014
I'll be having the same situation as yours soon. I'm currently in Canada holding a Visitors visa and I'm sending my Student permit application to VAC-LA when I receive my Letter of Acceptance from the school I applied for. I'm aware that we can not convert our Visitors (Tourist) visa within Canada and a friend here in Canada told me to send my application from outside Canada that's why I'm planning to send my application to VAC-LA instead. This is my first time to do this and I dont have a lawyer to assist me. Is this process really working?