+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for Spouse open work permit this weekend

pamela_c14

Jun 30, 2014
Hello - I am on a 2 year work permit, currently working and living in Toronto. My husband is Australian and is currently living with me here as a “visitor”. We want to apply for his spousal open work permit at the Canadian-US border at Niagara Falls rainbow bridge. We were going to flagpole it, however since we have to drive for 2 hours anyway, we are thinking of spending one night in Buffalo to do some relaxing and shopping, and go back to Toronto the next day and apply for his permit then.

I just have a couple of questions:

1) When we leave the Canadian border/enter the US border, do we have to tell them what we intend to do? ie going to Buffalo for a day trip and then want to apply his permit when we arrive back at Canada?
2) We are thinking of bringing these with us – the CIC website isn’t too clear about what we need to show at POE – My work permit, my passport, his passport, a copy of our marriage certificate, my work contract and employment letter ( to prove that I am working in a NOC class A job), bank statement and travel health insurance support? All these are pretty much what I personally had to show at POE when I arrived Canada to get my work permit activated, so assuming its similar for my husband?

Thanks in advance!

richardhao

Mar 17, 2016
Hey, That's exactly what I am thinking! I am planning to go next week. how was your trip and can you answer your questions plz.