+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

applying for PR during Covid. Wise?

ranashantanu

Apr 19, 2014
Hi guys,

My girlfriend is looking to apply for a PR (Express Entry) and on her behalf, I was wondering if it is the right thing to do at this point?

The way I look at it is given that the world is struggling financially so why would Canada want immigrants that would come and rely on the government to pay them till they get a job like Emergency response Benefit etc (whatever Canada pays its residents if they lose their job)?

Is there a chance of refusal specifically due to the COVID situation?

Thank you for your time.

romeo0909

Star Member
Jun 24, 2020
Worst time to apply. Won’t be able to get the documents you need. Maybe not even a score required. Better off staying in your country and make position solid there

Reactions: ranashantanu

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
As long as you can gather the documents you require, then you should still apply.

There have been no suspensions of draws, it's just been limited to CEC candidates (most of whom are in Canada) for the moment due to the pandemic. But it's a matter of time before all program draws are resumed.

New immigrants are not eligible for CERB because you have to have lost your job during the pandemic to be have access to it.

If your girlfriend has a competitive CRS score, she should enter the pool as soon as she can.