+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for PGWP while study permit amendment is still in progress

nk006

Jun 10, 2019
Hi. I want to know if anyone has any experience applying for PGWP while their study permit amendment application was still in progress? My study permit is valid until Dec 2024 but I graduate in September 2024. I need to apply for an amendment on my study permit for the work authorization condition to be printed but I'm concerned if it doesn't come back in time and my PGWP application gets quite delayed.

forevermore76

May 19, 2024
Hi. I want to know if anyone has any experience applying for PGWP while their study permit amendment application was still in progress? My study permit is valid until Dec 2024 but I graduate in September 2024. I need to apply for an amendment on my study permit for the work authorization condition to be printed but I'm concerned if it doesn't come back in time and my PGWP application gets quite delayed.
Your timeline doesn't necessarily make sense. How can you graduate without the practicum if your co-op permit hasn't been approved yet?

Reactions: Naturgrl

nk006

Jun 10, 2019
Your timeline doesn't necessarily make sense. How can you graduate without the practicum if your co-op permit hasn't been approved yet?
i don't need a co-op permit.. I'm in my last semester and graduating at the end of this term. This is my extended study permit which arrived in June which says "this permit does not authorize the holder to engage in employment in Canada." I wish to apply for my PGWP once my grades become available in September 2024 but since the extended study permit does not authorize me to work, I have been advised by IRCC and immigration consultant at my school to apply for an amendment for it to say that so I can work on "implied status" when I make the application for PGWP. does that make sense?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
i don't need a co-op permit.. I'm in my last semester and graduating at the end of this term. This is my extended study permit which arrived in June which says "this permit does not authorize the holder to engage in employment in Canada." I wish to apply for my PGWP once my grades become available in September 2024 but since the extended study permit does not authorize me to work, I have been advised by IRCC and immigration consultant at my school to apply for an amendment for it to say that so I can work on "implied status" when I make the application for PGWP. does that make sense?
So you would not be applying to extend your study permit? That doesn’t change the work conditions. You apply on paper to change conditions of your permit and explain why you must work. Processing is months and because it is a paper application you will not ”implied” status to work.

nk006

Jun 10, 2019
So you would not be applying to extend your study permit? That doesn’t change the work conditions. You apply on paper to change conditions of your permit and explain why you must work. Processing is months and because it is a paper application you will not ”implied” status to work.
exactly. I understand that. my question is that due to my timeline and the fact that I will be graduating very soon, there's a possibility that my amendment doesn't come back fast. Do I have to wait until it is processed to apply for PGWP? Can I have both applications in progress at the same time?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
exactly. I understand that. my question is that due to my timeline and the fact that I will be graduating very soon, there's a possibility that my amendment doesn't come back fast. Do I have to wait until it is processed to apply for PGWP? Can I have both applications in progress at the same time?
You can apply for PGWP but cannot work if study permit states that and amendment has not been approved. . This is not an extension but a change in the conditions of your student permit.