+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for permanent residence with a hidden crime record before

jugoj

Jun 18, 2024
Good afternoon,

Around eight years ago, I committed internet fraud (scammed three people in total for approximately $900) in another country. I received a conditional sentence for one year. Two years ago, I applied for a Canadian visa and work permit without mentioning this fact in my application (I foolishly thought that if my police records from my country didn't mention it, I didn't have to mention it either).

Now I am ready to apply for PR via Express Entry, but I understand I must mention this fact, even if I have a clear police record. However, I am not very afraid of the fact that I was convicted several years ago, considering it is a hybrid offense, and I am eligible to ask for rehabilitation. The issue is that I lied in my visa application, and it will be treated as misrepresentation.

I can't afford an immigration lawyer at this point, and honestly, I don't think I have much chance of getting PR. It would be doubly disappointing to spend hundreds/thousands of dollars on a lawyer and still get a ban.

I would like to hear from people with a similar background, whether any of them managed to get PR with some misrepresentation in the visa application and a criminal record. I understand that if I had asked for rehabilitation before applying for the visa, I wouldn't have any troubles now, but I made too many silly mistakes, and it seems that nothing can be done right now. I want to be honest now, but it seems too late, and it might be better for me to start everything from scratch in another country. Did anyone have a similar situation to mine and managed to convince immigration officers to give them a chance for PR? Thank you all.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Gentle bump here
No one is answering because this is lawyer territory. I know you said you can't afford a lawyer, however this is a situation where you need one.

jugoj

Jun 18, 2024
No one is answering because this is lawyer territory. I know you said you can't afford a lawyer, however this is a situation where you need one.
Yes, I realize this is not a typical question, but based on my search, more experienced members (maybe some of them were immigration lawyers) could provide their opinion on similar issues. Hopefully, someone can give some input here to help me understand whether it makes sense to talk with lawyers or if it would just be a waste of money.

Lord_Tony

Mar 7, 2023
Toronto
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-03-2023
AOR Received.
07-05-2023
Med's Done....
15-05-2023
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2023
Yes, I realize this is not a typical question, but based on my search, more experienced members (maybe some of them were immigration lawyers) could provide their opinion on similar issues. Hopefully, someone can give some input here to help me understand whether it makes sense to talk with lawyers or if it would just be a waste of money.
Last couple of years of dealing with this forum I have never seen anyone discussing openly about charged crime or how it was remediated etc. This forum is amateurs for most common issues we face daily employment or family related. You can try searching and see also if you find any threads.