04/10/2012
Med's Done....
completed 03/04/13
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
22/05/13 (received 05/06/13, ECAS 29/05/13)
LANDED..........
08/06/13
Hi,

My boyfriend and I want to get married, and like to do that in september. However, my visa expires in a couple months.
Would the CIC extend my visitor status for this reason, or would they reject it? It would be nice to stay here till the wedding to organize everything.

Thanks.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
You can extend it online. When my husband was asking for an extension, he said he was applying for PR and wanted to stay with me, he got 6 months.

maggie465

Star Member
Apr 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24/08/2012
AOR Received.
04/10/2012
Med's Done....
completed 03/04/13
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
22/05/13 (received 05/06/13, ECAS 29/05/13)
LANDED..........
08/06/13
Had he already applied for the PR or was he going to?

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
Was going to. He had to get it extended in Nov, and we sent the application in March. We will have to extend it again this month since it expires in May.

Pummelchen

Star Member
Jun 24, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I applied for extension months before I send the application. Asked for 6 months and got 6 months. Soon I will ask again for 12 months :)

Sammi

Jan 13, 2012
Montreal QC
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 26, 2012
Doc's Request.
Traffic Report sent July 11, 2012.
AOR Received.
May 1, 2012
File Transfer...
May 16, 2012 CSQ Transfer....: June 6, 2012.
Med's Done....
January 3, 2012 ecas showing 'IN PROCESS' June 20, 2012.
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
n/a (Visa Exempt)
VISA ISSUED...
DM: July 29, 2012. PR doc in the mail !
parker24 said:
Was going to. He had to get it extended in Nov, and we sent the application in March. We will have to extend it again this month since it expires in May.
Hi Parker24

Do you mind me asking how did you go with extending your husbands visitor visa?

I am going through a similar situation, I've been in Canada since November on visitor visa with my husband, I've applied for Spousal PR in January (going to take another 7 months to process), but asked for an extension of my visitor visa that runs out on May 1st. Haven't had a response yet but am worried the CIC may frown upon spouses that 'visit' but really are trying to stay ?

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
Sammi said:
Hi Parker24

I am going through a similar situation, I've been in Canada since November on visitor visa with my husband, I've applied for Spousal PR in January (going to take another 7 months to process), but asked for an extension of my visitor visa that runs out on May 1st. Haven't had a response yet but am worried the CIC may frown upon spouses that 'visit' but really are trying to stay ?

Hi there!

Did you already apply for the extension? If so, then you have what's called "implied status". You're still a visitor until you hear yay or nay from CIC. When we got our first extension we didn't hear ANYTHING for 30 days until he got the paper in the mail with the extension. They don't really "frown" upon it, they just take their sweet time! How did you apply? We are applying online (and have in the past) which takes about a month. Paperwise it takes a little longer :)

Parker24

sommer

Apr 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 March 2012
Sammi said:
Hi Parker24

Hi Sammy,

It seems we share the same situation here. I have applied visa extension twice (1st one was for 6 months, last year then 2nd one i did it on January), I did all online and it was being processed very fast, took less then 2 weeks for each. My 2nd visa extension was applied after I had applied for PR (I applied it inland). I asked for 2 years of extension and say that I am applying PR as the reason for my needs of another visa extension. They granted me 12 months with no problem. I will just have to renew it again next year if I havent got my PR.

I attached my PR receipt as proof when I apply for the extension visa, so automatically both are tied together.

FYI, when I ask for my 2nd visa extension, CIC asked me to do medical check up. They gave me 3 months to do it after they granted me the extension.

Dont worry, you will not be frown upon since you are actually doing the right thing. IF you applying PR inland, its solely your responsibility to have (any) staying permit in Canada.

Sammi

Jan 13, 2012
Montreal QC
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 26, 2012
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
May 1, 2012
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
n/a (Visa Exempt)
VISA ISSUED...
Thanks Sommer, that has put me more at ease! :)

Although I applied for Outland PR after arriving, I did send in details of that with my extension request.

My visitor visa expires tomorrow!! I sent it in on the 23rd of March but since then processing times have gone up to 38 days, so I may not know a response for another week or so..

I have already done my medicals for my PR, you reckon maybe they could want me to do seperate set for visa extension? :(

Hey good luck with your PR! well, not really luck but good speed! ;D

And thanks for calming my lil spaz out 8)
All this heavy immigration stuff can really play with ya head!

sommer

Apr 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 March 2012
Thank you, yes, waiting for PR is really a long-stretch-of-patience.

I hope your extension works out well. I dont see why won`t it anyway.. :D

If you already give your medicals perhaps they dont need another one for the extension.. I needed one because I didnt have any.

Sammi

Jan 13, 2012
Montreal QC
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 26, 2012
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
May 1, 2012
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
n/a (Visa Exempt)
VISA ISSUED...
UPDATE !! My visitor visa was extended for another 12 months! No probs! :) :) YAYAYAY!
Should defo cover until PR outcome.
What a relief.. Interesting though how it says on the CIC website that the purpose of a visitor visa isn't suppose to be more than a 'visit'.. and that the applicant should satisfy them that they will return home.. it's intent isn't for waiting for a PR..
Anyway NO COMPLAINTS here!! :)
Thanks again for your kind words.

razza

May 11, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm in a very similar situation to this, but I have a couple of extra points that I need clarified if possible.

I'm from NZ, and we sent our spousal visa application in on February 27th. We are applying from 'outside Canada' but I am here on a visitor visa (6 months) - I landed on the 27th of January. Currently they are working on assessment of sponsor applications received on February 7th (90 days turn around time!) and there's supposedly another 7 months processing of my application after that (although I hear it's actually about 3 months).

What do you guys recommend I do? My visitor visa expires on July 27th - should I do the same as Sammi and apply for an extension? Do you just include how long you would like to stay for? Should i include that I'm in the country even though the application will be processed through the Australian office?

Thanks for any possible help. I'm so glad I found this forum today!

Liz1986

Star Member
Apr 13, 2012
Hello Everyone!!
I just want to share with you that i received my extension as a visitor for one year!!! we wrote a letter that we wanted to be together until the process for the PR is finalized and i got approved!! Good luck to everyone!!

Vokun

May 15, 2012
One question to those who got extension.

Did you guys mention in the form that you have applied for permanent resident visa or spouse visa?

Sammi

Jan 13, 2012
Montreal QC
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 26, 2012
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
May 1, 2012
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
n/a (Visa Exempt)
VISA ISSUED...
razza said:
I'm in a very similar situation to this, but I have a couple of extra points that I need clarified if possible.

I'm from NZ, and we sent our spousal visa application in on February 27th. We are applying from 'outside Canada' but I am here on a visitor visa (6 months) - I landed on the 27th of January. Currently they are working on assessment of sponsor applications received on February 7th (90 days turn around time!) and there's supposedly another 7 months processing of my application after that (although I hear it's actually about 3 months).

What do you guys recommend I do? My visitor visa expires on July 27th - should I do the same as Sammi and apply for an extension? Do you just include how long you would like to stay for? Should i include that I'm in the country even though the application will be processed through the Australian office?

Thanks for any possible help. I'm so glad I found this forum today!

Hi Razza

I had completed my PR application and sent it in January but had not heard a reply (AOR) when I applied for an extension in March (my visitor visa expired May 1st). I applied for the extension in paper form (not online as I included documents like marriage certificate etc) - but keep in mind the processing times are about 40 days atm.

If you wanted to stay in Canada while your PR is getting processed you can apply for the extension for 12 months, I had actually put the date of 31st of December 2012 but they gave me 12 months. Although you don't need to physically be in Canada while an 'outside Canada' app is being processed (it's not effected if you leave).

The extension is processed through the CIC (in Canada) so you enter your Canadian address in the form.

Hope this helps! :)