+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for citizenship from outside Canada

Porus

Sep 9, 2013
QUESTION
Can I apply for Canadian citizenship outside Canada?
I meet (a) citizenship (3 of last 4 years as PR) & (b) PR requirements (at least 2 of last 5 years as PR).

DETAILS
I can apply for citizenship on 1 Jan 2014, as I complete 3 years as Canadian PR (2011, 2012 & 2013).

I've been given a 3 year contract job in a mine in Australia, yet per contract I cannot leave the post within 2 years, even for a week.

So if I apply for Can citizenship on 1 Jan 2014 & then start the Oz job on 5 Jan 2014, the job restriction is till 5 Jan 2016. So if the citizenship test is called by that date, I have to give up my job to attend.

One solution is :
- going to Oz on 1 Jan 2014 & joining my job on 5 Jan 2014, &
- not applying for Canadian citizenship yet, but waiting for 1 year (till 5 Jan 2015) & then applying from Oz
- that way, knowing processing times, the test is very unlikely to be called within 1 year (by 5 Jan 2016, when my job restriction ends). So I can return to Canada for the test as a PR.

Note that as long as the process is completed by 1 Jan 2017, I am fine. That way, I just about meet the 2 out of 5 year rule (2012 & 2013 in Canada. 2014, 2015 & 2016 outside).

Question - Can I apply for citizenship from abroad when I meet eligibility? Nowhere does it say I can't on _www_cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become-eligibility.asp

bidur78

Star Member
Sep 8, 2013
Even though you meet residency requirements for permanent residency,you have to be physically present in Canada for 3 years out of 4 years preceding your citizenship application.

OKK

Jun 22, 2013
3 Years out of 4 years period and where it comes to applying while being out of Canada and if they find out means a RQ. Good Luck

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Porus said:
QUESTION
Can I apply for Canadian citizenship outside Canada?
I meet (a) citizenship (3 of last 4 years as PR) & (b) PR requirements (at least 2 of last 5 years as PR).

DETAILS
I can apply for citizenship on 1 Jan 2014, as I complete 3 years as Canadian PR (2011, 2012 & 2013).

I've been given a 3 year contract job in a mine in Australia, yet per contract I cannot leave the post within 2 years, even for a week.

So if I apply for Can citizenship on 1 Jan 2014 & then start the Oz job on 5 Jan 2014, the job restriction is till 5 Jan 2016. So if the citizenship test is called by that date, I have to give up my job to attend.

One solution is :
- going to Oz on 1 Jan 2014 & joining my job on 5 Jan 2014, &
- not applying for Canadian citizenship yet, but waiting for 1 year (till 5 Jan 2015) & then applying from Oz
- that way, knowing processing times, the test is very unlikely to be called within 1 year (by 5 Jan 2016, when my job restriction ends). So I can return to Canada for the test as a PR.

Note that as long as the process is completed by 1 Jan 2017, I am fine. That way, I just about meet the 2 out of 5 year rule (2012 & 2013 in Canada. 2014, 2015 & 2016 outside).

Question - Can I apply for citizenship from abroad when I meet eligibility? Nowhere does it say I can't on _www_cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become-eligibility.asp
1. Will you have 1095 days of physical presence in the 4 year period prior to the application date?
2. There is an ongoing push by CIC to put aside/ delay processing of Citizenship applications from outside Canada (Sec 5.1) - make sure this is not in effect when you apply.

123sMike

Star Member
May 20, 2013
same case with me ..I completed my 3 years and few months and have to be out of the country for some business and my rest of the family is in Canada..I applied for citizenship and they gave me RQ..i sent everything correctly..waiting to see if my file will move forward or will be dumped in the back

Thinking of splitting the file for rest of my family

Porus

Sep 9, 2013
Many thanks for the kind replies everyone. Wrt the 2 key points raised :

1. Yes, I will meet the 3 of 4 year rule.
I have lived in Canada for full 2011, 2012 & 2013 (will do). So :
- if I apply on 5 Jan 2014, I meet it (last 3 years).
- I also meet it if I apply on 5 Jan 2015 (3 of 4 years)
I use 3 years loosely for 1,095 days. I met the day count.

MSAfiri said they frown upon applications from outside Canada
I will keep my house in Canada. So if I move to Oz & then apply in Jan/15, can I apply to CIC Sydney, NS, from my address in Canada? I will be 100% honest with CIC, telling them about my overseas job. However, since the application uses my Canada address, will this be ok?

As stated earlier, if I apply on Jan/15, I am not expecting the test notification before my job restriction ends (on Jan/16). Even so, there will be someone at the address here to open my mail & inform me of all developments quickly.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. Apply on day 1096 from your Canada address. No need to declare your Oz employment at this stage. All you need to do thereafter is make sure you get your mail from CIC without any issues.

2. You must be able to attend a test at short notice - missing a test now requires a valid explanation within 60 days I recall or else your file closed and application abandoned.

3. You may or may not get an RQ. If you do then being in Oz makes submission even tighter but its doable.

4. Lastly you must maintain your PR status until oath date - major issue for most people who apply and leave Canada shortly after day 1096 is if they get RQd and process drags out beoynd the residence obligation and you get caught out.

5. Of course you must make sure your application is water tight because if CIC send it back for any reason your days count is out of sync with you having left Canada.