+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for a visitor’s visa for my husband

Menaemara

Aug 11, 2024
I'm a Canadian citizen currently living in Egypt after marrying an Egyptian. I want to return to Canada to give birth to our daughter and be with my family, who can provide proper postpartum care. Last year, my husband applied for a visa before my pregnancy, but it was refused by the officer, who cited concerns under paragraph 179(b) about his intention to leave Canada at the end of his stay.

We both live in Egypt, and my husband has no intention of staying in Canada permanently since he has his job and family here. I'm concerned that his visa was denied partly because he is married to a Canadian citizen. What should I do?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm a Canadian citizen currently living in Egypt after marrying an Egyptian. I want to return to Canada to give birth to our daughter and be with my family, who can provide proper postpartum care. Last year, my husband applied for a visa before my pregnancy, but it was refused by the officer, who cited concerns under paragraph 179(b) about his intention to leave Canada at the end of his stay.

We both live in Egypt, and my husband has no intention of staying in Canada permanently since he has his job and family here. I'm concerned that his visa was denied partly because he is married to a Canadian citizen. What should I do?
Unfortunately there's no way to guarantee visa approval.

To have the highest chances of success, when your husband applies again he should provide as much evidence as he can of his strong ties to Egypt. This should include things like property ownership, evidence of employment, and evidence of savings / other assets. If he has previous travel to countries requiring visas such as the UK, US, etc., that will strengthen his profile. He should also keep the length of this trip on the shorter side (2-3 weeks). The fact you plan to travel to Canada for an extended period of time will likely weaken the application.

FYI - Make sure you plan on remaining in Canada for 6+ months for the birth to your daughter or there is a good chance the province will come after you afterwards for the costs of the health care you use.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Unfortunately there's no way to guarantee visa approval.

To have the highest chances of success, when your husband applies again he should provide as much evidence as he can of his strong ties to Egypt. This should include things like property ownership, evidence of employment, and evidence of savings / other assets. If he has previous travel to countries requiring visas such as the UK, US, etc., that will strengthen his profile. He should also keep the length of this trip on the shorter side (2-3 weeks). The fact you plan to travel to Canada for an extended period of time will likely weaken the application.

FYI - Make sure you plan on remaining in Canada for 6+ months for the birth to your daughter or there is a good chance the province will come after you afterwards for the costs of the health care you use.
Your baby also have to meet residency requirement to qualify for healthcare or you could be asked to repay all the costs both you and your baby incurred. Depending on your home province and how long you have been abroad you may also be required to reapply for a health card to be eligible for provincial healthcare. A valid health card does not mean you are eligible for provincial healthcare. In some provinces you will only be eligible up to 3 months after applying. There are residency requirements to qualify for healthcare to try to ensure that those accessing healthcare and their families are taxpayers.

If you want to guarantee that your husband can be at the birth or meet their newborn give birth in Egypt.