+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for a B1B2 USA Visa while on a Malaysian passport BUT with Canadian PR

Phe

May 11, 2010
Hi guys

So im about to receive my COPR with Canada (passport was requested a few days ago and i should receive my PR visa with COPR) in a few days time. I know that an option to officially become a landed immigrant/official PR is to land at the border of Canada. I am already in Canada on a TRV which expires May 3rd so i need to leave Canada before then and come back in with my PR visa. Anyway im planning to apply for a B1B2 visa as soon as i receive my PR visa.

However, of course this will be BEFORE i have registered my PR visa at the border... the whole point of applying for the B1B2 visa is so i can travel to the States then re-enter Canada (I want to do some sight-seeing in NYC).

My question is, will applying for a B1B2 visa be an issue? I assume no because although i wouldnt have yet registered at the Canadian border as a PR yet, i would have my PR visa and COPR with me which i will be able to show the US consulate upon my application interview for the B1B2 visa. Is this correct?

[I understand that another way is to flag-pole, and i know a lot of people have said that no visa would be required as the US officials would just provide you a letter of refusal of admission with reason 'flag pole' and APPARENTLY this doesnt affect future USA visits .... i rang US immigration and the lady i spoke to informed me this is false and any letter of refusal can affect your future visits. So either way...i need/want to apply for a visa before entering the USA.]

Phe

May 11, 2010
Reason for my concern/question is because i read that applicants who apply for a Visitors visa to the states from a country in which they are not a citizen or resident in is most likely to be rejected. I would not be officially a PR in canada yet (would not have registered at the border yet) when i apply for the visa to the states, but will have my PR visa and COPR with me.