+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply through Skilled Worker vs Spousal Sponsorship?

milkkomang

Jul 28, 2017
Hello,

This question was probably asked a few times, but I am hoping to get the proper answer to my situation.

I am a Canadian Citizen. My husband and I recently got married in June of this year. He was an international student who went to highschool and University in Canada ,and got a full-time job before we got married (a few weeks before)

He is currently working as an engineer with the post-graduate work permit.
In this case, in order for him to obtain his Permanent Residency, between Spousal Sponsorship vs Skilled Worker... which method would be the best? I'm just trying to figure out the pros and cons to our situation.

So far the main information I gathered is Spousal Sponsorship is 99.9 % guaranteed , faster, but more costly; whereas the skilled worker is not always 100% guaranteed, must do language tests, must wait a year to apply for it, but less cost than the spousal sponsorship. (My husband's opinion is he does not necessarily see the need in rushing the PR, but my opinion is I obviously want to go with the most secure option)

I have also been told that once he is already married to a Canadian, then he won't be allowed to apply for the skilled worker class since the gov't monitors which category international applicants are applying to settle down in Canada.??
Please correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks for reading and hope to get some guidance for this matter!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
He can apply for both if he wants to at the same time. However I would forget about Express Entry and go with with spousal sponsorship. Neither is guaranteed - Express Entry is a lot more work and likely more time overall. Depending where your husband is from, you might consider sponsoring him outland (rather than inland) to take advantage of shorter processing times.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
So far the main information I gathered is Spousal Sponsorship is 99.9 % guaranteed , faster, but more costly; whereas the skilled worker is not always 100% guaranteed, must do language tests, must wait a year to apply for it, but less cost than the spousal sponsorship. (My husband's opinion is he does not necessarily see the need in rushing the PR, but my opinion is I obviously want to go with the most secure option)

I have also been told that once he is already married to a Canadian, then he won't be allowed to apply for the skilled worker class since the gov't monitors which category international applicants are applying to settle down in Canada.??
I'm not sure where you got your info about the costs.The IRCC fees are the same for family sponsorship and EE. If he applies through EE, he then needs to pay the IELTS fee, so it would be more expensive overall.

IRCC doesn't monitor which category people apply through. If he qualifies as a skilled worker, he can apply; being married to a Canadian doesn't change that.

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Hello,

This question was probably asked a few times, but I am hoping to get the proper answer to my situation.

I am a Canadian Citizen. My husband and I recently got married in June of this year. He was an international student who went to highschool and University in Canada ,and got a full-time job before we got married (a few weeks before)

He is currently working as an engineer with the post-graduate work permit.
In this case, in order for him to obtain his Permanent Residency, between Spousal Sponsorship vs Skilled Worker... which method would be the best? I'm just trying to figure out the pros and cons to our situation.

Spousal Sponsorship is more easy