+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply Spouse Open Work Permit While Holding PGWP

sgim

Jul 19, 2019
I am currently holding a post graduate work permit (PGWP) which expires on Oct 30th 2019. Also, I did a Master's degree while working on PGWP so that I also have a study permit that expires on Sep 2021.

As the PGWP will expire soon and my spouse is working NOC A under PGWP expiring in 2022. I am considering getting a spouse open work permit to continue working in Canada.

I have a few questions below:

1. Should I apply open work permit extension or a new open work permit? They are 2 different applications

2. On application form, should I declare my current status as worker or student (I am full-time working now and the Master's program is finishing in 2 weeks and I am getting my degree in Nov, the study permit was issued after PGWP)

3. On the application form, for the most recent issued document number, should I use my study permit or PGWP's document number? Does it have to be the same as my current status?

4. How many pay slips of my spouse should I attach with my application. I think it used to be 3, but now there is no minimum requirement according to CIC's website

5. If I state my current status as worker, should I apply 30 days before my PGWP expiration?

6. What are something that I have to pay attention to when writing the letter of explanation to avoid refusal?

Thanks!