+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply for tourist visa while waiting for OWP?

MattBurnes

Oct 17, 2016
Hey guys,

me (german) and my wife (canadian) just sent out our sponsorship application (inland) including an application for the open work
permit (same package/envelope, but clearly marked as separate application).

I did some research afterwards regarding using Canada Post, waiting times, receiving a receipt, etc. and I've read
a lot of horror stories which concern me now.

Im currently on a work permit for a specific employer (though I quit about 6 months ago), valid until February, but
I should have implied status after February as I submitted the OWP Application, correct? Also, would it be a
wise decision to already apply for a tourist visa in case CIC didn't receive the application (Canada Post seems to
be very unreliable, even when using registered mail)?

Just trying to prepare for the worst case scenario here until Im receiving some kind of receipt from CIC, which
apparently can take months :)

Best
Matt

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
yes, if your current visa expires before you receive a decision about an OWP application submitted before your visa's expiration date, you are on implied status until that decision is made.

since you are already in canada, you can not apply for a visitor's visa. visitor's visas are for those not currently in canada wanting to travel to canada. what you can do is apply to extend your stay and change your status to visitor 30 days before your current visa expires. however, the implied status you receive for your OWP application covers you so you do not have to do this. Some people choose to extend their stay as a safety measure in case their application is returned after their current status expires. If the application is returned and status expires, there is no implied status, and the person has 90 days to apply for restoration of status.

MattBurnes

Oct 17, 2016
Thanks for the quick reply. I now noticed an issue with my OWP application based on some more research that I did.

I only paid the OWP Holder Fee or $100 (as this was the only fee listed on the document checklist) but I found out that it's
really $255. So I just paid the outstanding fee and put together a whole new application package with both receipts ready
to be send out.

Question: Will it be an issue that this new application does not come in the same package as the spousal sponsorship? I'm
assuming by time the look at the OWP application they won't have looked at the sponsorship application (or might not even now
it exists).

Also: Shall I send this "new" application to Alberta or again to Mississauga?

Thanks