+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply for Post Graduate Work Permit from Outside Canada

DG1288

Nov 12, 2014
Hello

I have recently graduated from a 4 year Post secondary degree program in Toronto. Last year, returning from a holiday in Belize to see family, I accidentally booked my return flight to Canada on a date after the expiry of my temporary resident visa. At the airport in Cancun, I was refused boarding the flight. However, I booked a flight to New York (As I have a valid US visitor's visa) and attempted to enter Canada via the port of entry in Niagara falls where I was able to prove (via a still valid study permit) that I still had a year of school left. The officer exercised discretion and issued me a Temporary resident Permit to allow me to return to Canada and finish my studies. I did not realize until recently, however, that this changed my status in Canada from Student to TRP holder. I applied for a post graduation work permit which was subsequently denied and have received a PDF via email from CIC (NOT a deportation order or departure order) asking me to leave Canada. I understand that I must leave Canada. However, I have a few questions.

1. Can I apply for a post graduation work permit from outside Canada?
2. Do I need to be within the 90 day period from which I was confirmed for graduation by the school?
3. Do I need a valid Study permit? (Which is now expired)
4. Is the fact that I was asked to leave Canada going to affect me negatively with any future applications? (i.e. Permanent Residence, Citizenship)
5. If I CAN apply for a post graduation work permit from outside Canada, can I do it online or by paper?
6. Can I apply for a Post grad Work permit from inside Canada but attach my departure ticket to show compliance with the request to leave the country? Or must I leave the country FIRST and THEN make the application?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.