+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

apply for a study permit from within Canada

Sonata95

Jul 23, 2008
Hi All,

According to Guide 5552 apply or a study permit from within Canada, the following person may apply from within Canada.

•Persons who have completed a short-term course or program of study that is a prerequisite to their enrolling at a DLI;

If I got a admission with condition to study English course first. For personal reason I don't want to apply study permit in my home country but I will apply TRV visitor visa and go to study English course in Canada, After completing English course I will apply study permit within Canada as per Guide 5552 above, is it possible?

I am highly appreciated your advise

Tks, Thang

Tks, Thang

nettoyant

Star Member
Jul 17, 2013
I think this rule refers to courses that would be a pre-requisite to gain admission at a DLI.

For instance, if you want to study in Canada, but you don't have enough english skills you would enrol in a english course INSIDE the college or university that you want to attend as a "conditional pathway" to a post-secondary program. (Like this one from GBC http://www.georgebrown.ca/esl/eap-international-admissions.aspx)

I'm pretty sure there are other examples, but this one is the only one that comes to mind at this moment.

Cheers

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Sonata95 said:
Hi All,

According to Guide 5552 apply or a study permit from within Canada, the following person may apply from within Canada.

•Persons who have completed a short-term course or program of study that is a prerequisite to their enrolling at a DLI;

If I got a admission with condition to study English course first. For personal reason I don't want to apply study permit in my home country but I will apply TRV visitor visa and go to study English course in Canada, After completing English course I will apply study permit within Canada as per Guide 5552 above, is it possible?

I am highly appreciated your advise

Tks, Thang
No - based on the information you have provided it will not be possible for you to apply for a study permit from within Canada. You will have to apply through your home country / country of residenc.

Sonata95

Jul 23, 2008
Hi all,

Well noted and thanks. Actually I know I should apply study permit in home country but I affraid my 2 kids accompany with me will be rejected but I believe that we can apply trv visitor visa and 95% chance to get visa. Then try get admissionbfrom college and apply study permit in canada after taking english course.

As your advise this way is impossible to apply study per.it

Thank for your help. I need do normal way to apply study permit and accompany with my 2kids and husband.

Cheers

bbcj

Star Member
Oct 17, 2013
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa (originally Hong Kong)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-08-2014
Doc's Request.
none
AOR Received.
none received
File Transfer...
14-10-2014
Med's Done....
upfront
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
none (British passport holder)
LANDED..........
05-07-2015
It is possible to apply from within Canada:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=483&t=15

Best of luck!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
bbcj said:
It is possible to apply from within Canada:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=483&t=15

Best of luck!
I see you didn't read the answers above or bother to read the information on the web site you quoted. Yes - it's possible to apply from within Canada if you meet the requirements. However the OP doesn't meet these requirements and therefore can't apply from within Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Sonata95 said:
Hi all,

Well noted and thanks. Actually I know I should apply study permit in home country but I affraid my 2 kids accompany with me will be rejected but I believe that we can apply trv visitor visa and 95% chance to get visa. Then try get admissionbfrom college and apply study permit in canada after taking english course.

As your advise this way is impossible to apply study per.it

Thank for your help. I need do normal way to apply study permit and accompany with my 2kids and husband.

Cheers
Again, this won't let you apply for a study permit within Canada. What you have described doesn't not meet the requirements for applying for a study permit from within Canada because the English course is not a direct pre-requisite for your further studies in Canada. Once again, you will have to apply for a study permit from outside of Canada.

virtu

Star Member
Aug 29, 2013
scylla said:
Again, this won't let you apply for a study permit within Canada. What you have described doesn't not meet the requirements for applying for a study permit from within Canada because the English course is not a direct pre-requisite for your further studies in Canada. Once again, you will have to apply for a study permit from outside of Canada.
Hi scylla,

Can you help me understand a little bit more the requirements for applying a study permit from within Canada?
I am reading the Guide 5552 (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5552ETOC.asp) and it shows a few requirements, such as:

Who may apply for a study permit from within Canada?

The following persons may apply from within Canada:

Holders of valid work or study permits and their family members;

Persons studying at pre-school, primary or secondary level;

Visiting or exchange students studying at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI);

Persons who have completed a short-term course or program of study that is a prerequisite to their enrolling at a DLI;

Holders of temporary resident permits (TRPs) valid for a minimum of six months and their family members;

Refugee claimants and persons subject to an unenforceable removal order;

In-Canada permanent resident applicants and their family members who are determined eligible for permanent residents (PR) status in one of the following classes:
live-in caregiver, spouse or common-law partner, protected persons, and humanitarian and compassionate considerations (H&C);

Persons whose study permits were authorized by a visa office abroad, where the permit was not issued at a port of entry;

Family members of athletes on a Canadian-based team, media representatives, members of the clergy, or military personnel assigned to Canada.

So, a person that comes to Canada to study (any course) for 6 months with a Study Permit why they can not be eligible if the first requirement is to hold a SP?

For example: a person that comes here to study English and in while study this person applies to a College and received a LOA with no conditions (this persons had IELTS or TOEFL score enough to receive a completed LOA).

I guess that I am missing some part of the interpretation of this new rules.

Thanks for your attention.