+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply for a Post GRaduate work permit from Outside Canada?

DG1288

Nov 12, 2014
Hello

I have recently graduated from a 4 year Post secondary degree program in Toronto. Last year, returning from a holiday in Belize to see family, I accidentally booked my return flight to Canada on a date after the expiry of my temporary resident visa. At the airport in Cancun, I was refused boarding the flight. However, I booked a flight to New York (As I have a valid US visitor's visa) and attempted to enter Canada via the port of entry in Niagara falls where I was able to prove (via a still valid study permit) that I still had a year of school left. The officer exercised discretion and issued me a Temporary resident Permit to allow me to return to Canada and finish my studies. I did not realize until recently, however, that this changed my status in Canada from Student to TRP holder. I applied for a post graduation work permit which was subsequently denied and have received a PDF via email from CIC (NOT a deportation order or departure order) asking me to leave Canada. I understand that I must leave Canada. However, I have a few questions.

1. Can I apply for a post graduation work permit from outside Canada?
2. Do I need to be within the 90 day period from which I was confirmed for graduation by the school?
3. Do I need a valid Study permit? (Which is now expired)
4. Is the fact that I was asked to leave Canada going to affect me negatively with any future applications? (i.e. Permanent Residence, Citizenship)
5. If I CAN apply for a post graduation work permit from outside Canada, can I do it online or by paper?
6. Can I apply for a Post grad Work permit from inside Canada but attach my departure ticket to show compliance with the request to leave the country? Or must I leave the country FIRST and THEN make the application?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

sgondo

Mar 4, 2015
Hello. I also have similar questions. I got a bachelor degree last December, and I'm in my country, Japan, right now. I'm thinking about finding a job in Japan, but I want to apply for PGWP just in case I wanna go back to Vancouver.

Have you applied for PGWP? If you have, could you give me some info (e.g. which form you used etc)??
Thank you in advance.

xecuter

Star Member
Oct 13, 2012
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
DG1288 said:
Hello

I have recently graduated from a 4 year Post secondary degree program in Toronto. Last year, returning from a holiday in Belize to see family, I accidentally booked my return flight to Canada on a date after the expiry of my temporary resident visa. At the airport in Cancun, I was refused boarding the flight. However, I booked a flight to New York (As I have a valid US visitor's visa) and attempted to enter Canada via the port of entry in Niagara falls where I was able to prove (via a still valid study permit) that I still had a year of school left. The officer exercised discretion and issued me a Temporary resident Permit to allow me to return to Canada and finish my studies. I did not realize until recently, however, that this changed my status in Canada from Student to TRP holder. I applied for a post graduation work permit which was subsequently denied and have received a PDF via email from CIC (NOT a deportation order or departure order) asking me to leave Canada. I understand that I must leave Canada. However, I have a few questions.

1. Can I apply for a post graduation work permit from outside Canada?
2. Do I need to be within the 90 day period from which I was confirmed for graduation by the school?
3. Do I need a valid Study permit? (Which is now expired)
4. Is the fact that I was asked to leave Canada going to affect me negatively with any future applications? (i.e. Permanent Residence, Citizenship)
5. If I CAN apply for a post graduation work permit from outside Canada, can I do it online or by paper?
6. Can I apply for a Post grad Work permit from inside Canada but attach my departure ticket to show compliance with the request to leave the country? Or must I leave the country FIRST and THEN make the application?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
You only have 90 days from the date of your graduation to apply for a PGWP. What is your graduation date on your diploma/transcript?