+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply a working permit at a port of entry - which ports?

akoyama

May 1, 2015
I am trying to figure out which ports of entry can handle an application of a working permit ("Some workers can apply at a port of entry" in "Working Temporarily in Canada" site).

The web says "Remember that you must find out what papers you will need before arriving in Canada. Check with a Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate." I tried to call those places, but could not reach to reps who can address my question.

I talked to an officer of the Canadian Boarder Service Agency at Sault Ste Marie which is the closest port to my new workplace. However, the officer said the port at Sault Sta Marie cannot handle such applications at the port of entry.

Can anybody tell me which ports of entry can accept an application of a work permit?

Thanks in advance!

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
akoyama said:
I am trying to figure out which ports of entry can handle an application of a working permit ("Some workers can apply at a port of entry" in "Working Temporarily in Canada" site).

The web says "Remember that you must find out what papers you will need before arriving in Canada. Check with a Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate." I tried to call those places, but could not reach to reps who can address my question.

I talked to an officer of the Canadian Boarder Service Agency at Sault Ste Marie which is the closest port to my new workplace. However, the officer said the port at Sault Sta Marie cannot handle such applications at the port of entry.

Can anybody tell me which ports of entry can accept an application of a work permit?

Thanks in advance!
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/do-rb/services/imm-eng.html

That office is listed as having IMM services - http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/do-rb/offices-bureaux/261-eng.html

However, I assume your intention is to apply for a work permit as you enter Canada. For this - you have to satisfy these conditions:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-eligible.asp
If you apply as you enter Canada
You can ask to be allowed to work in Canada as you enter Canada but only if:

you do not need a visa,
you already hold a valid medical certificate, if you need it for your job, or are from a designated country.
your employer has submitted a copy of a valid Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), if needed, and
your employer has proof that they have paid an employer compliance fee and submitted an Offer of Employment form (PDF, 1.18 MB) to Citizenship and Immigration Canada, if you do not need an LMIA and will be working for a specific employer.

Note: If your job does need an LMIA, you can apply for a work permit as you enter Canada, as long as your employer has approval to hire you through an LMIA before you enter the country. (This does not apply to live-in caregivers and seasonal agricultural workers.)

.../atb

akoyama

May 1, 2015
Thank you very much for your quick reply.

I called up the SS Marie office to ask some questions about application at the port of entry. They could not address my questions, but told me to talk to a "local immigration partnership". A lady at the office told me that the SS Marie office does not handle application because they shut down their CIC office two years ago.