+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applied for the PR from within Canada, not in Canada anymore

po1995

Mar 11, 2021
Hi all,

I applied for Permanent Residence while I was in Canada. I have come back to my home country (India) and will be here for the next few months. In case my PR gets approved while I am in India, what will the process then be for me to get the PR card?

My application has my Canadian address, as I did not anticipate moving here when I applied for PR.

Will I need to update the IRCC about the change in my address or should I continue the process using my Canadian address, get the card delivered there and thereafter, have the card posted by a friend to me in India?

Thanks a lot for your advice :)

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
Hi all,

I applied for Permanent Residence while I was in Canada. I have come back to my home country (India) and will be here for the next few months. In case my PR gets approved while I am in India, what will the process then be for me to get the PR card?

My application has my Canadian address, as I did not anticipate moving here when I applied for PR.

Will I need to update the IRCC about the change in my address or should I continue the process using my Canadian address, get the card delivered there and thereafter, have the card posted by a friend to me in India?

Thanks a lot for your advice :)
You have to inform IRCC about that. Once you get golden email you will be asked for plans to return to Canada and your application will be put on hold till you rerurn.

po1995

Mar 11, 2021
You have to inform IRCC about that. Once you get golden email you will be asked for plans to return to Canada and your application will be put on hold till you rerurn.
Thanks for your response! Should I inform them about my plans to return in this email itself? Or should I wait for the golden email? The reason I ask is because I might not be able to stay in Canada for more than a week when I go in March.

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
Thanks for your response! Should I inform them about my plans to return in this email itself? Or should I wait for the golden email? The reason I ask is because I might not be able to stay in Canada for more than a week when I go in March.
Once you get golden email you will be asked if you are inland let them know about your status in that email.