+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applied for Spousal PR but PGWP expiring in 2 months. Need to know about OWP conditions

bewcan

Aug 2, 2024
Hello everyone.

I am on PGWP which is going to expire in December 2024. I have applied for permanent residency under spousal family class (inland) in August 2024. I have not received any AOR yet. After getting AOR I am eligible to apply for open work permit. However I am not sure if my OWP application will be approved before my PGWP expires. I am working in a mnc and worried about my working status. I have following questions
1. Can I work under applied status for open work permit which I will apply after getting AOR?
2. What if I don't get an AOR and my PGWP gets expired?
3. Should I reach out to my company and ask them if they can sponsor my visa? Personally I am not willing to, but if that's the only option I will.
4. So far, I have read about the conditions of applied work permit and got to know that one is allowed to work on applied status if the decision of the work permit application is pending. This rule is applicable to PGWP as we commonly see but in the official document there is no mention on any specific kind of work permit. Can we assume that the conditions will be same for OWP. Refer the document link below.

IRPR 183(5) , IRPR 186(u)

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/work-without-permit/authorization-work-without-work-permit-implied-status.html

Please guide.