+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application Refused - Full Time Co-op work experience not considered

Okimoe

Feb 13, 2014
Hello I recently received an Email for the CIC Ottawa processing office saying that my application (CEC) was refused. From what I understand, it was refused because my 8 months of work experience while being a student did not account towards the 12 months of required work experience. Here is the Email:

"Date: February 12, 2014

UCI: 000000000

Application: X0123456789

John Smith

Email:

john.Smith@MAIL.COM

Dear John Smith:

I have now completed the assessment of your application for a permanent resident visa as a member of the Canadian Experience Class and have determined that you do not meet the requirements for immigration to Canada.

According to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, applicants in the Canadian Experience Class are assessed on the basis of the pass/fail requirements set out in subsection R87.1(2). The assessment of these criteria determines whether a worker with Canadian experience will be able to become economically established in Canada. The criteria are:

temporary resident status during the period of work experience in Canada and any period of full time study or training,
meeting the minimum language proficiency threshold in either English or French, and
qualifying Canadian skilled work experience.

Your application was assessed based on the occupation(s) which you identified as part of your skilled work experience in Canada:

I am not satisfied that you meet the [CHOOSE ONE OR MORE: temporary resident status, official language proficiency, skilled work experience] requirement(s) because Your application was assessed based on the occupations which you identified as part of your skilled work experience in Canada: : Profession/JobTitleOne/JobTitleTwo/JobTitleThree (NOC 9999).

I am not satisfied that you meet the skilled work experience requirement. You requested assessment as follows: from 01SEP10 to 31DEC10 as a JobTitle1 (NOC 9999) at Employer1; from 27APR11 to 26 AUG11 as a JobTitleTwo (NOC 9999) with Employer2 which was part of your University's Cooperative Education program; from 18JUL12 to 30SEP12 (2.5months) as a JobTitleThree (NOC 9999) at EmployerThree; and as an JobTitleFour (NOC 9999) from 01OCT2012 to date of application 29APR13 (7 months).

According to R87.1(3)(a), any period of employment during which an applicant was engaged in full-time study cannot be included in calculating the period of qualifying work experience (e.g., work experience gained through co-op work permits, off-campus work permits while a full-time student and on-campus work permits). As a result, I am not satisfied you meet the selection criteria of the Canadian experience class as set out in R87.1. as you have not acquired 12 months of full time skilled work experience in a NOC type 0 or Level A or B occupation within the 3 years before you submitted your application.

Subsection 11(1) of the Act states that a foreign national must, before entering Canada, apply to an officer for a visa or for any other document required by the Regulations. The visa or document shall be issued if, following an examination, the officer is satisfied that the foreign national is not inadmissible and meets the requirements of this Act. Subsection 2(1) specifies that unless otherwise indicated, references in the Act to “this Act” include regulations made under it.

Following an examination of your application, I am not satisfied that you meet the requirements of the Act and Regulations for the reasons explained above. I am therefore refusing your application.

Thank you for the interest you have shown in Canada.

Yours sincerely,

Case Officer

Citizenship and Immigration Canada"

Of course, I wasn't a student while being on Co-op, I had a student VISA but also a Co-op work permit while working full time for that time period.

Since my application was sent, I have even accumulated enough work experience to have one full year and more. I suggested through Email that I could mail my paystubs for the time period, but the officer suggested that I reapply. It seems like a waste of time and money for me to do that. Any other way I can approach this?

Thank you

wessless

Aug 11, 2013
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
20-06-2013
Doc's Request.
17-02-2014 RPRF/BIODATA
AOR Received.
12-08-2013
Med's Request
12-02-2014
Med's Done....
14-02-2014
Passport Req..
25-02-2014
LANDED..........
02-04-2014
Sorry to hear this. But unfortunately co-op work experience is not considered or accepted under CEC. You can always reapply once you gain the necessary experience.

honeysingh

Feb 20, 2013
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Unfortunately, you have to re apply. No way you will positive response back.

What Visa Officer said is right. Work Experience while being a student will not be consifered..

Good luck with your new application, and make sure you meet the requirements and post if you have any questions, there are many people in the forum to help and Guide you.

GHD1213

Nov 30, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-08-2013
AOR Received.
29-10-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
21-03-2014
Passport Req..
09-05-2014
Sorry to hear this. May I ask when you applied and how long it took to get rejected.

NIPUN MAHENDRU

May 9, 2018
Sorry to hear this. May I ask when you applied and how long it took to get rejected.
Hello I recently received an Email for the CIC Ottawa processing office saying that my application (CEC) was refused. From what I understand, it was refused because my 8 months of work experience while being a student did not account towards the 12 months of required work experience. Here is the Email:

"Date: February 12, 2014

UCI: 000000000

Application: X0123456789

John Smith

Email:

john.Smith@MAIL.COM

Dear John Smith:

I have now completed the assessment of your application for a permanent resident visa as a member of the Canadian Experience Class and have determined that you do not meet the requirements for immigration to Canada.

According to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, applicants in the Canadian Experience Class are assessed on the basis of the pass/fail requirements set out in subsection R87.1(2). The assessment of these criteria determines whether a worker with Canadian experience will be able to become economically established in Canada. The criteria are:

temporary resident status during the period of work experience in Canada and any period of full time study or training,
meeting the minimum language proficiency threshold in either English or French, and
qualifying Canadian skilled work experience.

Your application was assessed based on the occupation(s) which you identified as part of your skilled work experience in Canada:

I am not satisfied that you meet the [CHOOSE ONE OR MORE: temporary resident status, official language proficiency, skilled work experience] requirement(s) because Your application was assessed based on the occupations which you identified as part of your skilled work experience in Canada: : Profession/JobTitleOne/JobTitleTwo/JobTitleThree (NOC 9999).

I am not satisfied that you meet the skilled work experience requirement. You requested assessment as follows: from 01SEP10 to 31DEC10 as a JobTitle1 (NOC 9999) at Employer1; from 27APR11 to 26 AUG11 as a JobTitleTwo (NOC 9999) with Employer2 which was part of your University's Cooperative Education program; from 18JUL12 to 30SEP12 (2.5months) as a JobTitleThree (NOC 9999) at EmployerThree; and as an JobTitleFour (NOC 9999) from 01OCT2012 to date of application 29APR13 (7 months).

According to R87.1(3)(a), any period of employment during which an applicant was engaged in full-time study cannot be included in calculating the period of qualifying work experience (e.g., work experience gained through co-op work permits, off-campus work permits while a full-time student and on-campus work permits). As a result, I am not satisfied you meet the selection criteria of the Canadian experience class as set out in R87.1. as you have not acquired 12 months of full time skilled work experience in a NOC type 0 or Level A or B occupation within the 3 years before you submitted your application.

Subsection 11(1) of the Act states that a foreign national must, before entering Canada, apply to an officer for a visa or for any other document required by the Regulations. The visa or document shall be issued if, following an examination, the officer is satisfied that the foreign national is not inadmissible and meets the requirements of this Act. Subsection 2(1) specifies that unless otherwise indicated, references in the Act to “this Act” include regulations made under it.

Following an examination of your application, I am not satisfied that you meet the requirements of the Act and Regulations for the reasons explained above. I am therefore refusing your application.

Thank you for the interest you have shown in Canada.

Yours sincerely,

Case Officer

Citizenship and Immigration Canada"

Of course, I wasn't a student while being on Co-op, I had a student VISA but also a Co-op work permit while working full time for that time period.

Since my application was sent, I have even accumulated enough work experience to have one full year and more. I suggested through Email that I could mail my paystubs for the time period, but the officer suggested that I reapply. It seems like a waste of time and money for me to do that. Any other way I can approach this?

Thank you

can you please tell me when you applied and how long it took to process the application?