+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for PR with PGW

thomascwm

Oct 1, 2013
Hello dear friends,

I am new to this forum and I have some questions regarding the application for PR:

- The requirement is 12 months/30 hours week. Is it possible to apply earlier if you work for example 40 hours per week?
- Up to how many months can you extend the work permit?
- Is it possible to apply for PR after 12 months and then leave Canada awaiting the process in another country?

Thanks in advance!

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
thomascwm said:
Hello dear friends,

I am new to this forum and I have some questions regarding the application for PR:

- The requirement is 12 months/30 hours week. Is it possible to apply earlier if you work for example 40 hours per week?

No.

- Up to how many months can you extend the work permit?

I don't think you can extend PGWPs.

- Is it possible to apply for PR after 12 months and then leave Canada awaiting the process in another country?

Yes.

Thanks in advance!

Check comments in red.

thomascwm

Oct 1, 2013
iam_toby said:
Check comments in red.
Thanks for the reply!

So the government doesn't care if I am in Canada or in another country during my PR application?

And,

With extension of the post graduate work permit I mean that my employer will do that for me.
For example my work permit expires next year February. I will have to extend my work permit before that time, but for how many months more can I apply?

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
thomascwm said:
Thanks for the reply!

So the government doesn't care if I am in Canada or in another country during my PR application?

Nope, they don't. Keep them updated with a valid mailing address during the process and you'll be fine.

And,

With extension of the post graduate work permit I mean that my employer will do that for me.
For example my work permit expires next year February. I will have to extend my work permit before that time, but for how many months more can I apply?

You can't just extend your PGWP. Your employer will have to apply for a LMO, once approved you can apply for a WP.
Then it's usually a year or so I think. Never had to apply for a LMO. Maybe someone else can chime in on this?

InfoSeeker12

Champion Member
Aug 28, 2012
Canada
LANDED..........
Sep 2013
thomascwm said:
thanks again :D hope someone else knows more about the extension of PGW
Thomas. Dude, firstly, i'd request you to set aside sometime to research the answers you are looking for on CIC website. You may be surprised that many of the questions you have asked above are there on the website.

For extension of PGWP. Firstly, how long was your education? You know the rule, PGWPs cannot exceed the duration of your studies. So if you studied here for 1 yr, your PGWP will be 1yr long...etc.

But your employer can still hire you easily and you dont have to return back home once your PGWP expires. How?

Like Roth mentioned, your employer will have to apply for LMO. Since you will be a former PGWP holder, your employer doesn't need to prove efforts of hiring a local candidate. Read the passage from CIC website and show it to your employer:

Advertisement
Employers hiring former PGWPP participants in higher-skilled occupations are not required to conduct recruitment or advertisement efforts, provided, the LMO is received by the appropriate Service Canada Centre within 90 days of the expiration of the post-graduate work permit.

In instances where the post-graduate work permit has expired, and over 90 days have elapsed from the date Service Canada receives the application, employers will be required to demonstrate recruitment efforts as per the normal requirements for higher-skilled occupations.

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/jobs/foreign_workers/higher_skilled/students/index.shtml

So if your PGWP is about to expire, go and talk to the HR manager or your own manager. Keep a copy of this page and show it to them. Tell your manager that you can continue to work for them, if they apply for an LMO for you before your PGWP expires. And they wont have to put ads in the paper to advertise your position, nor will the work suffer, because you can continue to work under 'implied status' till the final decision comes...i.e., hopefully your WP.

Yes, you will be bound to that employer once you get the WP. But that will be only for a year. Once you get your PR, you can go to any other employer.

So I guess that eliminates the need to extend PGWPs.

thomascwm

Oct 1, 2013
First of all, thanks for the extensive reply!
I did read the website, but my question was for how long do they extend. I couldn't find it on the website.
However, I did learn something new from your reply and that worries me a bit.

I am currently in the hiring process and I didn't sign a contract yet. My PGWP will expire mid February and as I read in your reply I will need to apply 90 days in advance for the LMO in order to avoid the recruitment & advertisements etc.

The thing is that they offered me a 4 month full time contract starting mid October and I don't know if they want to apply for the LMO right away since I will be on a temporary contract at first...

What to do... :(

InfoSeeker12

Champion Member
Aug 28, 2012
Canada
LANDED..........
Sep 2013
Hmmm. If the initial hiring is from nov to feb, they won't do anything about it now.

Get in the job...seduce ur employer with your work...ofcourse!!...and in january pull the fire alarm on them. If they want you to continue, they should apply for LMO. Tell them it won't cost them.

If ur wp is expiring in feb, they atleast have to apply for lmo in jan. And then you have to apply for wp too so that you can keep working after feb under implied status.

thomascwm

Oct 1, 2013
I will probably get hired mid OCTOBER, this will give me enough time to still apply 90 days in advance if they want to help me out.
My motivation is high and I will proof myself, so that won't be the problem here.

And it will also be easier for them to apply 90 days in advance instead of showing recruitment efforts.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
thomascwm said:
The thing is that they offered me a 4 month full time contract starting mid October and I don't know if they want to apply for the LMO right away since I will be on a temporary contract at first...

What to do... :(
You can't get an extension without an approved LMO. So you either need to convince your employer to go through the LMO process or find a new employer.

InfoSeeker12

Champion Member
Aug 28, 2012
Canada
LANDED..........
Sep 2013
thomascwm said:
I will probably get hired mid OCTOBER, this will give me enough time to still apply 90 days in advance if they want to help me out.
My motivation is high and I will proof myself, so that won't be the problem here.

And it will also be easier for them to apply 90 days in advance instead of showing recruitment efforts.
Exactly. The second point is the selling point. They can get you easily if they want. You just have to make sure they know the cic rules. Cuz many times they dont and the HR doesnt just want to bother with all of the paper work involved.

All the best bro..

freeday1919

Sep 30, 2013
Hi,

I know for a PGWP LMO, the employer doesnt need to do the advertising part, but don't they still have to pay for 275$ for each employee that they're applying LMO for ??

Thanks.

InfoSeeker12 said:
Hmmm. If the initial hiring is from nov to feb, they won't do anything about it now.

Get in the job...seduce ur employer with your work...ofcourse!!...and in january pull the fire alarm on them. If they want you to continue, they should apply for LMO. Tell them it won't cost them.

If ur wp is expiring in feb, they atleast have to apply for lmo in jan. And then you have to apply for wp too so that you can keep working after feb under implied status.

thomascwm

Oct 1, 2013
From what I know is that you do need to show advertisement efforts if you don't apply 3 months in advance of the expiry date.

freeday1919 said:
Hi,

I know for a PGWP LMO, the employer doesnt need to do the advertising part, but don't they still have to pay for 275$ for each employee that they're applying LMO for ??

Thanks.