+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anyone in my situation? Any advice to stay in canada?

amhel26

Star Member
Feb 10, 2014
Hi, I was hoping to get advice or maybe someone has been in this situation?

I am applying outland, i am living in canada, im under an extended stay.
My extended stay was granted until may, one month before my passport expires.

Now, i want to renew my passport and applied for another extended stay, however my embassy tells me they will not renew passports inside canada for someone that is under a tourist permit like me, i need to have the permanent residency. They said that it might be granted if they see my first stage approval but nothing is for sure until i go to the office. Problem is, i am in Vancouver, and the only Spanish office that does passport renewals is in Toronto, so i will have to travel all the way and they might not renew it :(

So my other option is to go to my country of residence, Mexico, and renew my passport there, this would have to be done closer to may when my extended stay expires. I am really worried that they wont let me back in as a tourist, does anyone knows the chances? has anyone tried this before? I know that it depends on the immigration officer that gets you but...how safe is it to leave canada before my extended stay expires to come back in for the rest of my application?

Is there anything i can do to make this safer, like my partner could come with me to mexico, would be better if we travel together? or should i leave a few days or a few weeks before my extended expires? should i have a return ticket so they would let me back into canada? is it ok to just be in mexico for a week while i renew my passport? should i stay more time? anything that could increase chances of coming back in?

I just need to make sure i can be in canada, i have everything here with my partner and i dont want to risk to be separated for aprox 6 months or more while my permanent residency application is completed. So what would be the best option, what would you do in my situation?

Is it better to go to Toronto and try there? or is it easier to go to mexico since other people have been succesful in going in and out while they show a permanent residency application?

Im just really confused and want to do what will give me better chances to be in canada, please share what you would do? any advice?
Thank you so much for your time!!!!

28january

Star Member
Oct 1, 2014
Since you're applying Outland I don't think you'll have a problem getting in, especially with six months left in your application, the chances of you "overstaying" is low. I would opt for Mexico if I were you. If you're really paranoid and your partner can come with you, traveling with him would definitely be better than going by yourself.