+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anyone applied for new employer work permit after January 09' and suffering

TG2181

Feb 23, 2009
Hi All,

One of my friend applied for change of employer work permit in Vegreville unit 203 and it's almost
2 months they have not yet processed his case. Anybody has any idea or going thru' same phase please share.

TG

RBC

Oct 17, 2009
Hi TG, has your friend heard from Vegreville about the new work permit (change of emplyer) yet? How long did it take him to get the new one? Please share. Thanks

Basya

Oct 17, 2009
I applied about the same time in March. Received new work permit in August, just a couple of weeks before my old work permit was about to expire.

RBC

Oct 17, 2009
Basya said:
I applied about the same time in March. Received new work permit in August, just a couple of weeks before my old work permit was about to expire.
So Basya, you actually waited for about five months before you started with your new employer? Or were you refering to a renewal of your work permit with the same employer (same condition)?
Thanks.

Basya

Oct 17, 2009
As I was told: if you apply at least 30 days before your work permit is expired you are fine. My work permit was till September 1. I applied for a extension of the work permit for the same employer in spring so I could get it before September 1st. I worried but it arrived a couple of weeks before September 1st. I know though if you change employers it does not take that long. I changed employers before and it took me about a month to get a new work permit for a new employer. I consulted CIC and Temporary Foreign Workers Office on this matter. They all said if you stay with the same employer and just apply for extension that there is no need to worry if you applied for extension before work permit expires. It is written also in the guide "Change, Extend condition of your stay in Canada" on www.cic.gc.ca

mtlguy

Star Member
Oct 23, 2009
Montreal Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Basya said:
As I was told: if you apply at least 30 days before your work permit is expired you are fine. My work permit was till September 1. I applied for a extension of the work permit for the same employer in spring so I could get it before September 1st. I worried but it arrived a couple of weeks before September 1st. I know though if you change employers it does not take that long. I changed employers before and it took me about a month to get a new work permit for a new employer. I consulted CIC and Temporary Foreign Workers Office on this matter. They all said if you stay with the same employer and just apply for extension that there is no need to worry if you applied for extension before work permit expires. It is written also in the guide "Change, Extend condition of your stay in Canada" on www.cic.gc.ca
Hello,

Could you throw some light on the process involved in switching the work permit once a new offer is accepted. As per my understanding the process is as follows...pls correct me if i am wrong.

1. Accept the new job offer
2. Have the employer get a new LMO
3. Apply for work permit at Vergeville - Alberta (or border post)

As per my lawyer, it is taking more than 3 months to get the new work permit through Vegreville - Alberta.

When did you change your employer? Are we allowed to work once a positive LMO is available or should we wait until the new work permit arrives.

If we have a multiple entry TRV, can we simply go to one of the border check post with the LMO and job offer and get a new work permit from the border itself?

Truely appreciate your help.

Thanks

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
[author=mtlguy link=topic=16448.msg157652#msg157652 date=1256272988]

Hello,

Could you throw some light on the process involved in switching the work permit once a new offer is accepted. As per my understanding the process is as follows...pls correct me if i am wrong.

1. Accept the new job offer
2. Have the employer get a new LMO
3. Apply for work permit at Vergeville - Alberta (or border post)

As per my lawyer, it is taking more than 3 months to get the new work permit through Vegreville - Alberta.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/process-in.asp#temp_res

When did you change your employer? Are we allowed to work once a positive LMO is available or should we wait until the new work permit arrives.

You can (must) not work for your new employer until you have your new work permit.

If we have a multiple entry TRV, can we simply go to one of the border check post with the LMO and job offer and get a new work permit from the border itself?

Am not familiar with border processing but if you are close to the border you can certainly try. Faster processing (less than a day).

Truely appreciate your help.

Thanks
[]

mtlguy

Star Member
Oct 23, 2009
Montreal Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hello Job_seeker,

Thanks a lot for your reply with the link directing towards the processing times at Vergerville-Alberta.

I got laid off and have had 3 interviews in the last 4 weeks. I hope something clicks. Just that I am new to Canada and unaware of the process to change work permits. I live in Montreal which is close to Champlain-NY border post. I will definitely try the border post before applying at alberta.

Thanks a ton!

ps- what happens if i have to leave the country on emergency without a job offer in hand? I do have a multiple entry work visa valid until 2012 March

(Profession - Aerospace engineer with almost 4 years exp in USA. PR through Quebec skilled worker program is being processed and an interview is expected in Dec or Jan)

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
mtlguy said:
hello Job_seeker,

Thanks a lot for your reply with the link directing towards the processing times at Vergerville-Alberta.

I got laid off and have had 3 interviews in the last 4 weeks. I hope something clicks. Just that I am new to Canada and unaware of the process to change work permits. I live in Montreal which is close to Champlain-NY border post. I will definitely try the border post before applying at alberta.

Thanks a ton!

ps- what happens if i have to leave the country on emergency without a job offer in hand? I do have a multiple entry work visa valid until 2012 March

(Profession - Aerospace engineer with almost 4 years exp in USA. PR through Quebec skilled worker program is being processed and an interview is expected in Dec or Jan)
I think you can stay in Canada for the validity of your work permit. Your multiple entry work visa does not guarantee entry without a valid work permit or LMO in hand. If you need to leave due to an emergency and it's not to the US or St Pierre and Miquelon, you might need to apply for a visitor visa before you are allowed entry, in the event your current work permit is expired. Hope you get an acceptable job offer soon. All the best.