+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any advice for visitor Visa Invitation Letter

dh200

Apr 23, 2017
I'm going to write an invitation letter for my brother-in-law to visit Canada. He has family and work in his country and family in Canada.

I looked through these threads and it seems like a no-win situation. Whenever someone gets refused it seems like the responses agree with the Visa Officer. Here are responses I've read on this forum when someone gets refused:

- Strong ties to Canada - Responses say that makes sense because it looks like the person wants to actually move to Canada

- Weak ties to Canada - Responses say that makes sense because because they'll have no where to stay and aren't supported during the visit

- Strong ties to Home country - Responses say that makes sense because it's suspicious as to how they can leave their family or job behind to visit here

- Week ties to Home Country - Responses say that makes sense because there is little reason for them to return

Any advice on what approach to take?

Khris6

Star Member
Jul 8, 2016
Hello, dh200! Based on my experience, my Uncle and Aunt provided an invitation letter for me. They mentioned that I have a stable job in the Philippines and that my whole family is living here; that they are inviting me just for a vacation and for me to meet my cousins; that I will stay in their house for the whole duration of my visit and that I am the one responsible for my airfare and other incidentals.

Your invitation letter is just a supporting document. If your brother-in-law can provide documents establishing strong ties in his home country and good financial standing, then I think his application will be just fine :)

Reactions: dh200

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
I looked through these threads and it seems like a no-win situation. Whenever someone gets refused it seems like the responses agree with the Visa Officer. Here are responses I've read on this forum when someone gets refused:
Well, in the end, it's the visa officer's opinion which is the only one that matters. It's pretty easy to find the patterns and similarities in profiles that get rejected.

Anyway, I agree with what Khris told you: the invitation letter is just a supporting document. The "meat" of the application is really in documents about one's ties, like employment, finances, travel history, etc. Tell your brother-in-law to focus on submitting evidence that he has a stable and preferable status in the Philippines and that he has a history of short trips to visa-required countries