+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

American w/ accepted job offer - where to start? What about my girlfriend?

J. Pizzle

Mar 1, 2015
Howdy!
I'm very sorry if other threads answer my questions. I bet they do! I searched, but there are just so many pages of unique scenarios that I was a little overwhelmed. I really hope someone familiar with the process can point me in the right direction to get started.

My company's Canadian subsidiary has hired me, so technically I'm just an internal transfer. The Canadian subsidiary is brand new, though, and I'm the first American they've hired. They are happy to help me, but we are clueless. I could really use some guidance.

My NOC is 2171, 2 years experience + 4 years in another class A or B NOC. My girlfriend will come with me to Toronto in July, 2015. Her NOC is 4166 w/ 5 years experience. We both have perfect written and spoken English and we both have enough points for the Express Entry program. I'll have plenty of points since I have a job already, but my girlfriend will also have about 70 points. We are very excited to get going on the paperwork ASAP so we can start looking for an apartment in wonderful (and expensive) Toronto and so my girlfriend can start looking for work. Our goal is to work in Canada for at least two years - maybe forever. I know we need to take a language test; that's no big deal. They have one an hour from my house or we could fly to Toronto to take the CELPIP.

SO I'm wondering: do you think we should both apply for Express Entry once we get our test results? Is the process the same for a permanent resident application as it is for a work visa? Should we apply for work visas first and THEN apply for permanent residency? Or jump right to residency? Maybe something else? I'm just confused about where to start. Should we hire a lawyer or some other agency to help us with the process or do you think we can navigate the paperwork on our own easily enough? Forms are no problem, we just need to figure out the basics.

Thanks so much for any help!

~JP

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Note that you won't get the 600 points for having a job offer under Express Entry since you with be an internal transfer and (i assume) will be coming to Canada under the intra company transfer (ICT) visa. You would only get the 600 job offer points under Express Entry if your company has obtained an approved LMIA to support your job offer in Canada.

I would work on getting the work permit first. If you and your girlfriend are common law (have lived together for a minimum of one full year), she can get an open work permit based on your work permit.

J. Pizzle

Mar 1, 2015
Thanks! That's great news. I read up on those things and that looks like the perfect way to go.

Follow up question: do you happen to know if a language test is required for an internal work transfer visa?

Thanks again!