+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

American mother of Canadian children, how to stay in canada legally

Missie

Nov 5, 2009
I am a American Citizen. Living in Canada. I have a Canadian fiancee, two canadian children. I was on a study permit, that is now over. I am no longer in school. I have no skilled trade to be able to stay here on a work permit. My fiancee does not fit the requirments to sponsor me to stay here.
What else can I do? I cannot leave Canada for a long period of time because of my two canadian children.
How can i become a citziten or permant resided or SOMETHING to allow me to continue to live here In Canada legally and be able to have heath care.
I have no clue what i can do
Please help
Marian Taylor

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
hello,
in this case maybe it's better to consider taking kids with you back into the US? I don't see a better way out of this situation. As staying illegal in Canada cannot be a good decision. You need to find a job, or apply for a course of studies to extend your visa. Otherwise you have to go back.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If your fiance can not sponsor you, can you sponsor him to the US? Your children also have US citizenship through you.

If it has to be in Canada, you can try to stay with a work permit, even if you don't have a skilled trade. The criteria is that the job was advertised and no Canadians or PR's applied. What kind of work experience do you have? Even if you get a work permit to work at Tim Hortons which is a low skill, if you manage to get promoted to shift manager, you would qualify as a skilled and could eventually apply for permanent residency under Canadian experience class.

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
how far are you from the US border. What if you go back to US and come back in every 6 months.

Will that work or can that work?

nyssa

May 14, 2009
Midwest, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2010
AOR Received.
22-09-10
Med's Done....
09-01-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
06-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
06-11-2010
LANDED..........
06-01-2011
Dear Missie,

Do not assume that your children are US Citizens automatically, it is still a process. I'm sure you already know this, but I just have to point it out! My husband got into this mess when he was 10, as well as his brothers. Might I ask why your fiancee cannot sponsor you? You may fit into the common law category from what it seems unless like Karlshammar said, he is on welfare or such (if you've read the guide).

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If she was a US citizen at the time the children were born, they would most likely qualify for US citizenship too so they will be dual. It's best to take care of that asap to have it done with. Go to http://www.consular.canada.usembassy.gov/birth_abroad.asp for information on how to register them in the US.