+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

American Father + Canadian Mother How does the child get dual citizenship?

zoeoeyy

Aug 12, 2013
My father was born and lived in America till his late twenties and then became a Canadian citizen. My mother was born in Canada and has always lived here. I was wondering if I, the child, am eligible for dual citizenship and how difficult is it to get? What is the process of getting dual citizenship? What do I have to do?

marsiangal

Feb 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Request
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
25-02-2013 DM....:20-06-2013 IN CANADA SINCE:...2008
LANDED..........
21-08-2013
http://travel.gc.ca/travelling/publications/dual-citizenship

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So because you say that your father immigrated to Canada, I assume it is Canadian citizenship that you already have and now you want to figure out if you can get US citizenship? I think you should start here: http://canada.usembassy.gov/consular_services/citizenship-claims.html

You do not apply for "dual" citizenship in itself. You apply for citizenship in the countries where you qualify and if they both allow it, you end up with dual or it is possible to have even more than two if all countries allow it. Canada and the US both allow dual.

tinastucker

Jul 9, 2015
o.k. I need help I was born in Canada in 1951 my mother was Canadian my father a U.S. citizen and in the U.S. ARMY they weren't married until 1954 I have been in the us all my life don't know if i'm American citizen or what.I am at retirement age and they are asking if i'm a citizen after all these years what to do omg i'm 64 now and can't retire because of this.I have Canadian birth certificate but if I've been here all my life what would I be? :mad:

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
tinastucker said:
o.k. I need help I was born in Canada in 1951 my mother was Canadian my father a U.S. citizen and in the U.S. ARMY they weren't married until 1954 I have been in the us all my life don't know if i'm American citizen or what.I am at retirement age and they are asking if i'm a citizen after all these years what to do omg i'm 64 now and can't retire because of this.I have Canadian birth certificate but if I've been here all my life what would I be? :mad:
Illegal alien? JUST KIDDING! :) If your father (regardless of marital status) is/was a US Citizen, then you are by birth as well, most likely (the rules changed over the years, so without knowing when you were born, it's hard to say for certain). But you will need to apply for proof - do you not have a US passport? That is accepted as proof - If not, you can apply for a certificate of citizenship (you will have to submit proof of your father's citizenship).

Also read this -
http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Resources/A4en.pdf

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/obtaining-proof-of-us-citizenship-30116.html

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tinastucker said:
The "out of wedlock" aspect of your birth makes things more complicated. I hope, at least, that your father's name is listed on your birth certificate.

http://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartH-Chapter3.html

"C. Child Born Out of Wedlock​ [11]

​Child of a U.S. Citizen Father ​

​The provisions listed above​ [12] for a child born in wedlock apply to a child born out of wedlock outside of the United States claiming citizenship through a U.S. citizen father if:​

​•A blood relationship between the child and the father is established by clear and convincing evidence;​

​•The child’s father was a U.S. citizen at the time of the child’s birth; ​

•The child’s father (unless deceased) has agreed in writing to provide financial support for the child until the child reaches 18 years of age; and​

​•One of the following criteria is met before the child reaches 18 years of age:​

•The child is legitimated under the law of his or her residence or domicile;​

•The father acknowledges in writing and under oath the paternity of the child; or​

•The paternity of the child is established by adjudication of a competent court.​"

Kaitlyn

Oct 6, 2018
I am wondering this: if I have dual citizen ship, I have also been in Canada for almost 6 years now. I had my son with a Canadian and hes 5 and I had him in 2013, can he still get dual citizenship even though he was born in Canada and I have been living here for 6 years??

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
I am wondering this: if I have dual citizen ship, I have also been in Canada for almost 6 years now. I had my son with a Canadian and hes 5 and I had him in 2013, can he still get dual citizenship even though he was born in Canada and I have been living here for 6 years??
I think what you're asking is if your son carries citizenship from your native country? In some cases, it will depend on the country, whereas in some countries your son is considered a citizen by decent because you were born in that country. What country are you from?

SideshowLoki

Star Member
Apr 10, 2018
London, ON
LANDED..........
11-27-2007
I've lived in Canada for 13 years now and the answer is unless you were born here or you were born to a Canadian parent, the answer is no, you don't. Canada also doesn't recognize citizenship through marriage.

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
I've lived in Canada for 13 years now and the answer is unless you were born here or you were born to a Canadian parent, the answer is no, you don't. Canada also doesn't recognize citizenship through marriage.
I think you're responding to the wrong question, but Kaitlyn said that her son was born in Canada, so he is not a Canadian by descent but by birth. Nor does she ask about citizenship by marriage.

Sns204 is correct in his response in that it depends on the other country's nationality law.

SideshowLoki

Star Member
Apr 10, 2018
London, ON
LANDED..........
11-27-2007
I think you're responding to the wrong question, but Kaitlyn said that her son was born in Canada, so he is not a Canadian by descent but by birth. Nor does she ask about citizenship by marriage.

Sns204 is correct in his response in that it depends on the other country's nationality law.
I read it as if they were asking if they have dual-citizenship, my mistake. To be fair, it is an awkwardly worded comment.