+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

American/Canadian Moves

Ilovehim

Sep 13, 2008
Hello everyone! I am new here also, looks like there are some really helpful people here. Can someone please help me out.

I been doing a lot of research myself on my situation, but have not come to anything that can help me. Here is my situation. I have been with my bf for about 7 years, up and down, I have visit him many times in California, our relationship has gotten really strong in the last year and we think it is time to make the move. I actually want to move out to California, but I want to finish my schooling in Canada since it's cheaper. Anyhow I want him to move here, so I will have to sponsor him after we get marry. So my question is after I sponsor him, he will become a PR in Canada, so this mean he can't go back and visit America?

After getting married should he just stay with me in Canada? And I should sponsor him for PR? Or does he have to go back to America and I have to sponsor him there?

When he becomes PR and we want to move back to America, what do we do? Does he just move back to America with out me? or can I go with him and then he can apply for my PR in America? Sorry if my questions are confusing. Any help would be appreciate it. Thanks!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Huh, being PR in Canada means you can't go to the US? Where did you get that?

After you get married, you have a choice of applying inland or outland. If you apply inland, that means he is staying with you in Canada. If you apply outland it means he is in the US. Inland has the disadvantages that it takes longer plus he is not adviced to leave Canada while the application is being processed plus you don't have right to appeal if you are denied. Outland, he can come and visit you as a tourist and you can visit him. He should get his PR in 6-12 months and then he can join you in Canada and work. Just make sure you send a lot of proof to immigration, photos, phone bills etc. to prove that your relationship is real.

After he is PR in Canada he can travel to the US almost as much as he wants. PR's in Canada have a residency requirement to stay in Canada for at least 2 years out of any 5 year period but there are exceptions for accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse so even if you move to the US, he would not lose his PR if he's with you. If he lives in Canada as a PR for 3 years though, he is eligible to apply for citizenship and be a dual citizen.

When you want to move to the US, he can sponsor you for a green card in the US but you need another messageboard for that.