+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Am I eligible to apply to a WP under the intra-company transferees category?

hallcs

Jul 6, 2016
Hello,

I’m currently in Canada on a IEC work permit which is about to expire, and waiting for EE with 468 points.
Since I’m already here, and I can’t extend my current work permit or get a new one under IEC, I’m looking for alternatives until I can apply for a BOWP.

As a software developer, I worked full time for my current company (Canadian) from my home country as a independent contractor for the past 2 years previous to my arrival. If I need to leave Canada I will continue working from there.

My question is, can I apply to a LMIA exempt work permit under the intra-company transferees category?
Has anyone been through a similar case?

Best regards.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Most likely no - you don't fit the ICT criteria - you're looking for a loop-hole. First of all, it's your company (not you) that has to apply for the ICT. Secondly, for the ICT to be approved, your company will have to prove that you are required to be physically in Canada. However it's quite obvious your job can be done remotely from anywhere. Additionally, you need to be working in a job outside of Canada and your company has to want to transfer you to a different job in Canada in order to qualify.