+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Already working in Canada, options for PR application

newuser01012022

Jan 12, 2022
Hello All,
I am 40 year old professional, moved to Canada (British Columbia) on a Closed Work Permit a month ago (Skill Type 0 -managerial occupations). I have an overall experience of 18 years in my field of work and have been working for the same employer since past 10 years in different geographies (US, Japan, India and now Canada). I want to apply PR for myself (no dependents/family). I know I should get my educational credentials assessment done (ECA) and get a CLB 7+ score in IELTS. I plan to complete these in next 3 months. I do not qualify for Express entry -Federal Skilled Trades Program, which means I have 2 options - 1) Apply under Federal Skilled Worker Program or 2) Canadian Experience Class. I have compared these programs on canada.ca website, but have a few questions. Appreciate if you could please help me here-

1. I feel I should utilize my work experience and apply under the Federal skilled worker program. Is this correct choice? Or should I wait for 1 year and apply for Canadian experience class?
  2. If I were to apply under the Federal skilled worker program, what documentation should I provide to make my case strong?
  3. Can I apply PR under the Federal skilled worker program AND the Provincial Nominee Program for British Columbia? Not sure if I can apply to both programs at the same time.
  4. Which program helps get PR faster? The federal one or PNP (BC province)? I am not in a hurry but it would be great if someone could share their experience with the timelines.
Thanks in advance.

Regards

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello All,
I am 40 year old professional, moved to Canada (British Columbia) on a Closed Work Permit a month ago (Skill Type 0 -managerial occupations). I have an overall experience of 18 years in my field of work and have been working for the same employer since past 10 years in different geographies (US, Japan, India and now Canada). I want to apply PR for myself (no dependents/family). I know I should get my educational credentials assessment done (ECA) and get a CLB 7+ score in IELTS. I plan to complete these in next 3 months. I do not qualify for Express entry -Federal Skilled Trades Program, which means I have 2 options - 1) Apply under Federal Skilled Worker Program or 2) Canadian Experience Class. I have compared these programs on canada.ca website, but have a few questions. Appreciate if you could please help me here-

1. I feel I should utilize my work experience and apply under the Federal skilled worker program. Is this correct choice? Or should I wait for 1 year and apply for Canadian experience class?
  2. If I were to apply under the Federal skilled worker program, what documentation should I provide to make my case strong?
  3. Can I apply PR under the Federal skilled worker program AND the Provincial Nominee Program for British Columbia? Not sure if I can apply to both programs at the same time.
  4. Which program helps get PR faster? The federal one or PNP (BC province)? I am not in a hurry but it would be great if someone could share their experience with the timelines.
Thanks in advance.

Regards
1. You can submit an Express Entry profile now. Express Entry is how you can be selected for either FSW or CEC. You can create a profile now to have a chance of being selected under FSW. Once you have a year of Canadian work experience, you can update your profile to show this and qualify to be selected under CEC as well. Both of these programs are points-based, meaning those with the most points are selected out of the Express Entry pool. So how many points you have is extremely important.
2. You need to dedicate time to researching what documents are required if you are selected. It's not about making your case strong but about including all of the required documents to prove your work experience, etc. Failure to include all of the required documents results in a refusal so understanding this is very important. This information is available here on the IRCC website: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/works.html
3. Yes.
4. Express Entry is generally faster but the draws are currently on hold and we don't know when they will restart. So hard to answer this question right now.

Note that if you moved to Canada on an ICT visa, you won't be able to claim job offer points under Express Entry (FSW/CEC) until you have worked for your employer for a full year in Canada.

Reactions: newuser01012022

newuser01012022

Jan 12, 2022
1. You can submit an Express Entry profile now. Express Entry is how you can be selected for either FSW or CEC. You can create a profile now to have a chance of being selected under FSW. Once you have a year of Canadian work experience, you can update your profile to show this and qualify to be selected under CEC as well. Both of these programs are points-based, meaning those with the most points are selected out of the Express Entry pool. So how many points you have is extremely important.
2. You need to dedicate time to researching what documents are required if you are selected. It's not about making your case strong but about including all of the required documents to prove your work experience, etc. Failure to include all of the required documents results in a refusal so understanding this is very important. This information is available here on the IRCC website: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/works.html
3. Yes.
4. Express Entry is generally faster but the draws are currently on hold and we don't know when they will restart. So hard to answer this question right now.

Note that if you moved to Canada on an ICT visa, you won't be able to claim job offer points under Express Entry (FSW/CEC) until you have worked for your employer for a full year in Canada.
Hello @scylla ,
Thank you so much for this information. I will create an Express Entry Profile and upload all necessary documentation, Education Credential Evaluation right away. I will have to anyway appear for IELTS to increase my chances, so I'll submit my application once the results are received. Then will wait for ITA. I guess it's a lengthy process, so I'll update my profile once 1 year is completed in Canada.

npi

Jan 29, 2022
3. Yes.

IF they withdraws are on hold, what about PNP withdraws ? How long does this take ?