+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Alberta Citizenship process?

Retusa

Feb 5, 2014
Hi. I moved to Alberta in 2009 as a student. I did grad school, got a job and right now I am on a work permit. I have applied for my PR and I will get it in June 2015. I will stay in Alberta after I get my PR. How long do I have to stay here until I get my citizenship? I know generally I need to stay in Alberta for 3 years but since I have lived in Alberta since 2009, I read that I can stay here for 2 years and then I can apply for citizenship...is that true? Also, does the new bill effect this or it's too early to tell?

Mike15

Feb 4, 2014
The rules are changing, and since you're not yet a PR, they could even change again by the time you're eligible to apply.

I'd wait to even think about it until you become a PR; by then the dust will have settled on the changes.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
Retusa said:
Hi. I moved to Alberta in 2009 as a student. I did grad school, got a job and right now I am on a work permit. I have applied for my PR and I will get it in June 2015. I will stay in Alberta after I get my PR. How long do I have to stay here until I get my citizenship? I know generally I need to stay in Alberta for 3 years but since I have lived in Alberta since 2009, I read that I can stay here for 2 years and then I can apply for citizenship...is that true? Also, does the new bill effect this or it's too early to tell?
According to the new Bill proposed earlier today, none of your time before getting PR would count. As a result, the earliest you could apply for citizenship is 4 years from the date of receiving your PR status (assuming you didn't leave Canada for a single day during that time).