+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Airbnb address issue

Maysashahin90

Star Member
Sep 1, 2020
Dear all,
I am new to this forum and I would like to seek your assistance with regards to a matter.
I have soft landed in Canada around a year ago and I am leaving permanently next month. Now my question is with regards to the accomodation and specifically the Airbnb and how it affects the citizenship application if it does the reason i am asking is that due to the covid quarantine most landlords don't want a family of 4 to move in specially if they come from outside Canada, but those of the airbnb didn't mind that. Now my qiestion is if we stayed in an airbnb for 15 to 30 days will that he an issue on our citizenship application later? As in what could be used as a proof of residence of this airbnb if asked, I searched this forum and found only one case discussing it and the applicant gave receipts of the airbnb only but I dont know the outcome of this applicants application.
I am asking everyone to assist me with this please specially @dpenabill
Appreciated

rafzy

Champion Member
Jan 31, 2015
That will not be any issue as you do not need to provide any proof where you stayed. If IRCC asks for your proof of residence, you can show them receipts from your Air BnB residence.

No need to worry.

Maysashahin90

Star Member
Sep 1, 2020
That will not be any issue as you do not need to provide any proof where you stayed. If IRCC asks for your proof of residence, you can show them receipts from your Air BnB residence.

No need to worry.
Thanks for replying back to me, I know from what i read that usually addrees proof isn't asked but I was just wondering if they asked.

Receipts have the issue of not mentioning the name of the guest at least the one I downloaded from thr airbnb website so this is why i am worried :(

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
Thanks for replying back to me, I know from what i read that usually addrees proof isn't asked but I was just wondering if they asked.

Receipts have the issue of not mentioning the name of the guest at least the one I downloaded from thr airbnb website so this is why i am worried :(
If you did not pay cash then you can still link your receipt ID with your bank statement ( debit or credit ).Bank statement should have your name and those specifics transaction ID.

Last edited:

Maysashahin90

Star Member
Sep 1, 2020
If you did not pay cash then you can still link your receipt ID with your bank statement ( debit or credit ).Bank statement should have your name and those specifics transaction ID.
No i will be paying with my credit card as I am outside Canada now and will have to pay online either ways

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Note: I am NOT an expert. I am not qualified to offer personal advice. REALLY! Not just as a formality . . . there are real practical reasons why I cannot reliably offer personal advice.

As others have observed, proof of interest (rental or ownership) in place of residence ordinarily does not come up.

Best way to avoid a problem of proving details for a particular period of time, if it does come to that, is to build a margin of actual presence which makes any such period of time of little importance.

Stayed in a place you cannot document for six weeks? Make sure your margin over the minimum is 12 weeks (instead of 4 to 6, which is the minimum margin most should apply with -- recognizing not everyone can do this).

Otherwise, all PRs need to do is (1) keep an ongoing absolutely complete and accurate log of international travel, and (2) otherwise keep the records people in a modern society ordinarily keep anyway.

The paranoid can keep additional stuff, like take a lot of photos. But frankly that could invite as much suspicion as it does proof, especially if it appears to be artificially created as "proof."

Reactions: Maysashahin90

Maysashahin90

Star Member
Sep 1, 2020
Note: I am NOT an expert. I am not qualified to offer personal advice. REALLY! Not just as a formality . . . there are real practical reasons why I cannot reliably offer personal advice.

As others have observed, proof of interest (rental or ownership) in place of residence ordinarily does not come up.

Best way to avoid a problem of proving details for a particular period of time, if it does come to that, is to build a margin of actual presence which makes any such period of time of little importance.

Stayed in a place you cannot document for six weeks? Make sure your margin over the minimum is 12 weeks (instead of 4 to 6, which is the minimum margin most should apply with -- recognizing not everyone can do this).

Otherwise, all PRs need to do is (1) keep an ongoing absolutely complete and accurate log of international travel, and (2) otherwise keep the records people in a modern society ordinarily keep anyway.

The paranoid can keep additional stuff, like take a lot of photos. But frankly that could invite as much suspicion as it does proof, especially if it appears to be artificially created as "proof."
Thank you very much for your reply
May I please ask, what do you mean by records people keep i mean what could those documents be