+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

After PGWP

s3nr1

Star Member
May 11, 2013
Hi,

At this moment I'm applying for a PGWP. The CiC officer than came to my campus said that I will be getting one based on my program (length).

I want to also apply for a Permanent resident and I have heard conflicting information.

My background: Before studying in Canada I have about 7+y skilled work experience (IT) at a fairly large company in my country.

My questions:

1. Should I apply for a permanent resident status right away after getting my PGWP?

The CiC officer said I could apply to more than one class (Canadian Experience and Skilled Worker). While the Canadian Experience class requires me to work for one(?) year, the Skilled Worker will take my previous experience into account and I can apply for it at any time it seems. Is this right?

2. Do both of those classes work the same way, based on added points and get scooped up if you're on top of the list?

3. If after my PGWP expires can I apply for an extension? The info said No but I have seen posts in this forum that people are at least trying to get them.

4. What will be my options (other than going home) after the PGWP expires and I still did not get scooped up for PR?

Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. Yes - you can apply for Express Entry now. For CEC, you have to wait until you have a year of work experience in Canada (you can't count work experience you gained while you were studying).
2. Yes
3. If you want to continue working and haven't been accepted under an immigration program yet, your employer needs to obtain an approved LMIA so that you can extend you work permit (technically turn it into a close work permit). The LMIA process is long and expensive with no guarantee of approval. Many employers aren't willing to go through the process.
4. See above. You need to find an employer willing to go through the LMIA process.

s3nr1

Star Member
May 11, 2013
Thanks.

One more question for now, this is about applying for the PGWP, in the IMM5710 form there's checkbox(yes/no) asking if I had my language (English) proficiency tested at a designated testing agency. When I applied to study in Canada I took TOEFL, which was one of the requirements, and I got into the program that had a few technical English courses. I graduated with a fairly high GPA.

Can you advise if I should check Yes or No?

Thanks again!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
s3nr1 said:
Thanks.

One more question for now, this is about applying for the PGWP, in the IMM5710 form there's checkbox(yes/no) asking if I had my language (English) proficiency tested at a designated testing agency. When I applied to study in Canada I took TOEFL, which was one of the requirements, and I got into the program that had a few technical English courses. I graduated with a fairly high GPA.

Can you advise if I should check Yes or No?

Thanks again!
I don't know. TOEFL isn't recognized for immigration purposes. So I don't know if you should say yes or no. FYI - before you can apply for any Canadian immigration program, you'll need to take a recognized English test.

s3nr1

Star Member
May 11, 2013
I browsed CiC and found this: cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=571&top=5

>> You can send us one of a number of different documents to show that you meet the language requirement. For example:

>> the results of a CIC-approved third-party test, or
>> evidence of completion of secondary or post-secondary education in English or French, in Canada or abroad, or
>> evidence from certain government-funded language training programs.
I would think I have this:

>>you have the second item: "evidence of completion of secondary or post-secondary education in English or French, in Canada or abroad"
Also further background: I have completed my high school in Ottawa/Canada before moving back to my country.

I guess what I am asking is, if this criteria is largely dependent on the agent not a strict requirement.