+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

After I marry my fiance?

Jack_Scarlett

Aug 25, 2013
Ontario Canada (as a visitor)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

I'm new here. Just have a few questions. I'm twenty six, living in The US (Arizona) My fiance (twenty-five) Lives in Mississauga. We want to get married on October 19th.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to go about Permanent residence. I would really like to be able to stay with my husband after we are married. I know that applying outland would be faster, but if there
is ANY way i can do this without having to leave his side, I would like to take that route. He meets all the requirements to sponsor me
(full time job, not on welfare, never been bankrupt, has never sponsored anyone else before) The thing is, being I only have 6 months as a visitor, Time is really a factor. I know it takes about three months to get the marriage certificate, THEN he has to apply for Sponsorship (unless he/myself can apply before we get the certificate in hand. (Which im not sure how long that would take to be approved) I assume then I would have to look into getting an extension of stay for about 6 more months to start the process of PR. Perhaps I'm all wrong on this, if so please excuse my ignorance, as this is all rather new to me.

Could anyone give me a step by step (including when to start with getting the immigration medical exam and criminal back ground check) I realize those take a while to come in, but there is a time frame that immigration wants to see them in as well.
I would also like to apply for a work visa too when I am allowed. I'm just very confused on what to do, and when to do it. I would really hate to
be separated from him, I also fear that the immigration officers will not let me back into Canada if I visit (if I have to go back to America)

Also, with the medical and criminal check, If I am able to live in Mississauga with my husband, can I have those exams/checks done in Canada? Or do I need to go back and have them done In America?

If anyone has a step by step guide on what should be done, or advice that would be appreciated. Thank you all so much for your time and input :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Get married, then enter Canada together and ask for a visitor record based on planning to apply for sponsorship. It would help if you already have the forms filled out and bring them with you to show your intent. The immigration officer could give you a one year visit visa instead of 6 months.

Then you apply inland, send your application for an open work permit at the same time. This gives you implied status to stay in Canada even if your visit status expires as long as you don't leave in between. When you get first stage approval in 6-8 months, you will get your open work permit right away.

You OHIP will not give you health coverage until first stage approval + 3 months so you should make sure you have some kind of accident/emergency insurance to cover you.

During the time you are waiting for first stage approval, you are on visitor status so you can not work or study although you can volunteer and you can take short courses, less than 6 months in length.

maina

Champion Member
Jul 15, 2013
New Jersey
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-May-2013 PER : 9-Aug-2013
AOR Received.
11-Oct-2013
Leon said:
Get married, then enter Canada together and ask for a visitor record based on planning to apply for sponsorship. It would help if you already have the forms filled out and bring them with you to show your intent. The immigration officer could give you a one year visit visa instead of 6 months.

Then you apply inland, send your application for an open work permit at the same time. This gives you implied status to stay in Canada even if your visit status expires as long as you don't leave in between. When you get first stage approval in 6-8 months, you will get your open work permit right away.

You OHIP will not give you health coverage until first stage approval + 3 months so you should make sure you have some kind of accident/emergency insurance to cover you.

During the time you are waiting for first stage approval, you are on visitor status so you can not work or study although you can volunteer and you can take short courses, less than 6 months in length.
+1