+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

After i complete my plumbing college course + apprenticeship, am i eligible for skilled trades program after a few years full time experience?

geordiee

Jul 7, 2024
If i complete college + an apprenticeship in the UK am i eligible to move to Canada?

If i complete college + an apprenticeship in the UK am i eligible to move to Canada?

I am 16 years old and it has always been a dream of mine to move to Canada since the age of 13-14. I understand this seems young to be considering moving abroad in the future, but I feel like I do not belong in the UK. The weather is always dull and grey, even in the summer, which constantly makes you feel depressed, most of the people are unfriendly, and many more reasons which will take me ages to list. I constantly feel a never ending sense of boredom and unhappiness. So what is the point of living a boring and depressing life when it could be possible to live my dream life?
For these reasons, i have always wanted to ditch everything and start a new life in a beautiful country like Canada.

I am aware that moving abroad especially without a job offer is a long process which is not easy at all. I have spent ages looking into all of my options of ways to move to Canada but i do not know which one to take.
I am currently taking a plumbing apprenticeship and i am also studying plumbing in college. When i become a full time plumber would i be eligible for the Federal Skilled Trades program or would i need a valid job offer from an employer in Canada? Are there any other visa options that would be better for me? And how much experience would i need as a full time plumber?

Also, would i have to somehow convert my British qualification to canadian qualifications? Or would i have to retrain in Canada?

Thank you.

forevermore76

May 19, 2024

I am 16 years old and it has always been a dream of mine to move to Canada since the age of 13-14. I understand this seems young to be considering moving abroad in the future, but I feel like I do not belong in the UK. The weather is always dull and grey, even in the summer, which constantly makes you feel depressed, most of the people are unfriendly, and many more reasons which will take me ages to list. I constantly feel a never ending sense of boredom and unhappiness. So what is the point of living a boring and depressing life when it could be possible to live my dream life?
For these reasons, i have always wanted to ditch everything and start a new life in a beautiful country like Canada.

I am aware that moving abroad especially without a job offer is a long process which is not easy at all. I have spent ages looking into all of my options of ways to move to Canada but i do not know which one to take.
I am currently taking a plumbing apprenticeship and i am also studying plumbing in college. When i become a full time plumber would i be eligible for the Federal Skilled Trades program or would i need a valid job offer from an employer in Canada? Are there any other visa options that would be better for me? And how much experience would i need as a full time plumber?

Also, would i have to somehow convert my British qualification to canadian qualifications? Or would i have to retrain in Canada?

Thank you.
This is your best bet unless you want to come to Canada as a student.

You need to be 18 to apply for IEC.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/iec/about.html

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would suggest you do all your plumbing qualifications and get some job experience before coming over to Canada. Would also research what testing may be required to get a red seal in plumbing in Canada. There will certainly be a need for plumbers in Canada but it will be a much easier transition if you have some job experience already. Some PR programs do require a certain amount of job experience to qualify so that is something you need to research closer to the time you are finishing your apprenticeship. Agree the IEC is the easiest way for a UK young person to work for a year or two in Canada.