+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

After graduation - PGWP - Implied status?

Jamestoca

Star Member
Aug 29, 2015
Hello guys!

Let me explain to you my current situation!! I'm so nervous!!!!!

I'm an international student graduating (next month/April) in a two-years Diploma program in Toronto, ON. I currently have a study permit and a work permit which I'm allowed to work until April 21st, 2017 and allowed to study until July 21st, 2017. The question is about my SIN number, it says that it will expire on April 21st, 2017 according to my work permit. I'll be able to apply for my PGWP on April 25th, 2017 when the college will provide me the official transcript.

I wonder what do I need to do now!?! Do I need to apply for a Temporary Resident before my work permit ends for be able to keep working? (if is possible?), or do I need stop to work immediately after my SIN expire and wait for PGWP application?

THANK YOu! Please help!

vrahulan

Star Member
Apr 19, 2015
Hi,

1. You should apply for your Post Grad work permit before your study permit expires. Once you apply for the PGWP, you'd be allowed to work until a decision is made on your application (Implied status)

2. Your SIN number can be used until you get the PGWP. The only issue is new employers might be hesitant to give a job until you get the work permit issued but if you currently have a job, you can continue using the SIN.

Hope this helps.