+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

After Express Entry Update: Question about LMIA

JanetN2311

Nov 24, 2016
Dear friends,

I am really confused after the Express Entry Update from Nov 19th. I worked for one year in a skilled occupation in Alberta with a Work and Travel Visa (I live in Germany), that means I had a open work permit. Does that mean I have one year Canadian work experience in a skilled occupation? If yes, how do I have to prove this? Because it was an open work permit, my former employer is not on that work permit I had.

I also have a new job offer from the same employer, again in that skilled occupation. I am wondering, if my employer still needs a positive LMIA, because on CIC they say there is no LMIA neccessary if someone worked already for at least one year for an employer and has now a valid job offer from the same employer...Maybe I am just wrong...

Or is it even better to apply with all this for AINP to get that 600 extra points?

Thank you guys.

Janet :)

jaybe

Jun 22, 2016
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
16 June 2016
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Done....
06 June 2016
Interview........
Not needed at this time
Passport Req..
14th Dec
VISA ISSUED...
04 jan 2017
LANDED..........
10 jan 2017
JanetN2311 said:
Dear friends,

I am really confused after the Express Entry Update from Nov 19th. I worked for one year in a skilled occupation in Alberta with a Work and Travel Visa (I live in Germany), that means I had a open work permit. Does that mean I have one year Canadian work experience in a skilled occupation? If yes, how do I have to prove this? Because it was an open work permit, my former employer is not on that work permit I had.

I also have a new job offer from the same employer, again in that skilled occupation. I am wondering, if my employer still needs a positive LMIA, because on CIC they say there is no LMIA neccessary if someone worked already for at least one year for an employer and has now a valid job offer from the same employer...Maybe I am just wrong...

Or is it even better to apply with all this for AINP to get that 600 extra points?

Thank you guys.

With this new changes I'm suspecting the cut-off scores will go up...so I'd suggest you to apply AINP asap.

K4n4d4WS

Star Member
Jun 8, 2016
Edmonton AB
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2015
Doc's Request.
21-03-2016
Nomination.....
29-05-2015
AOR Received.
10-11-2015
Med's Request
29-04-2016
Med's Done....
04-05-2016
Passport Req..
08-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting
JanetN2311 said:
Or is it even better to apply with all this for AINP to get that 600 extra points
Express Entry with AINP is not possible so you don't get the 600 extra points
AINP is only paper-based and it takes around 16 month for the federal part right now

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JanetN2311 said:
Dear friends,

Thank you guys.

Your employer could be LMIA extempt if you could speak French as well and you can proove it (for example with TEF certificate over CBL7). Otherwise your employer would need LMIA approved.

JanetN2311

Nov 24, 2016
dan_and said:
Your Canadian work experience counts if it was in a skilled occupation (NOC 0, A or B) and if you have at least 1560 hours AND 52 weeks of work experience. Many IEC visa holders struggle with the latter part because the visa is typically only valid for one year and it takes most people at least a couple of weeks to find a job. If you had a job lined up before arriving in Canada and you actually worked a full 52 weeks though, you are good to go.

In regards to you second question, I don't know where you read that. The relevant info is here:

As you can see, you will need a new LMIA or already have one for the job offer to be valid. There are exceptions, but they usually only apply to job offers under international agreements such as NAFTA.

In other words, if you'd like to receive extra points for your job offer, your employer needs to obtain an LMIA on your behalf.
Thank you. Yes I had made this job arrangement before I arrived in Alberta, so I worked 52 weeks fulltime (40hrs).

Oh okay, I thought that affects all jobs, I read this on the second link you posted in the first paragraph.

JanetN2311

Nov 24, 2016
vensak said:
Your employer could be LMIA extempt if you could speak French as well and you can proove it (for example with TEF certificate over CBL7). Otherwise your employer would need LMIA approved.
Unfortunately no french :(

K4n4d4WS

Star Member
Jun 8, 2016
Edmonton AB
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2015
Doc's Request.