+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Advise needed on my status

Aug 25, 2012
Hi Friends,

I need an advise regrading my current status. I did a PG program for a year and got a PGWP. I worked 7months as a supply chain analyst in a reputed company. In the meanwhile I was misled by some legal advisor that I can do an open work permit extension and we submitted our papers in october now I got a refusal. My WP expired on the 9th Nov 2014. I have to restore my status due to the stupid advise. I want to know what is the best option now since I went to a lawyer and he told that he can find a job and get my LMIA done but he needs to apply me a student visa. My question will this work

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
I was in your shoes once, but since I was eligible to apply for CEC, I got lucky at the end.

If you trust your lawyer for LMIA, and you know for sure he/she can obtain it for you. By all means listen to your lawyer.

I assume they gave you 90 days grace period to restore your status. There are two options here, you can change (restore) your status to a student again, if within that 90 days you get your school papers done, and of course if you have the money to spend for another year of studies, but bare in mind that PGWP is issued only once, and after your studies you won't be able to get another one.

The second option (which I did) was to restore my status to visitor permit and await my PR decision. In this case you can't work or study, you just have to watch out for your bank balance and spend wisely.

In either case you can apply for a WP when your LMIA goes through. Both options can be done at the border. You can do a flagpole and explain the whole situation. 6 months visitor permit is a guarantee. They will issue you the permit for sure. Meanwhile push for your LMIA and please oh please do it properly. My LMO (used to be called LMO back in my days) was rejected two times. Not once, but twice.

So please if getting your PR is important enough, choose wisely and think twice before you take your steps.

Trust me I feel for you. If you keep on fighting you will get there eventually. It's not going to be easy but it can be done.

Best of luck,

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
You want to work for your employer under a study visa? :eek: sounds like a really bad idea

If you want to extend your work permit, you will need to have your employer go through LMIA, and then apply to extend your work permit. You can apply to change status as visitor while waiting for decision of WP. (obvious you can't work during that period)

When you become eligible in one of the immigration stream, you can apply PR.

@rezafc you are right, PGWP is a once in a life time permit

Aug 25, 2012
Thank u so much for the clarity. I know that I can only get pg work permit once. I approached a private college and told them about the scenario. They were willing to give me the offer letter. But I don't know how much funds should I show in the proof letter. I have build a good credit history. I asked about the visitor visa. My lawyer told that it is too risky because I have worked so many months. I got a rejection also because of which there is no gurantee that they will give visitor visa.